Friday, November 26, 2010

The Day After

Thank you for all the supportive comments on yesterdays post. I truly appreciate them. I know I'm super hard on myself. Always have been. Fatal flaw? Maybe.

I made myself get up off my tail and go to the gym today, mostly because I signed up for another 5K next Saturday, haha! I want another shot at it!

Workout went pretty well, and it was good for me. I was able to tell that the cold really is pulling me down, as on the ultra-measurable treadmill, I wasn't able to hit hit marks I've hit before. I did manage 25 minutes at a 9:15 pace, but I've previously run 30 at that pace, and wasn't wiped like I am today after just the 25. I started coughing and hacking and had to walk the rest of my workout.

I'll take tomorrow off, run Sunday and Monday, rest Tuesday, run Wednesday and Thursday, rest Friday, and race on Saturday. Hoping I'll be much improved by then. I'm also hoping to move at least half those workouts outside. Much different running outside than on the treadmill, and I'm positive that was working against me too. Slightly different muscles I think.

My wife and I were silly and got up for Black Friday sales. We got to Kohl's by 0330 and the parking lot was full. Once we were inside we were able to locate our items fairly quickly though. Then we went to get in line to check out. The checkout ran from the registers at the front of the store, all the way to the back of the store, then doubled on itself and went all the way up front again...

Uh, no. Not worth it.

So we went to IHOP instead and had omelets (which are surprisingly large for a surprisingly small number of calories). It was a fun date. We came home, got back in bed for a couple hours until the kids got up, and then did our shopping online instead.

I love the internets.

5 comments:

  1. You def have to get running outside. I hate the dreadmill :-/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I HATE running on the treadmill. I prefer running outdoors any day. And yes you're right they are very different. On a treadmill you are running to keep up with the machine, the machine is propelling you pace. Outside you are propelling your run. Also the treadmill is a constant speed with a constant surface, outdoors is full of diversity and a variety of challenges you'll never get on a treadmill. As long as you layer correctly, you can run outdoors all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never can get into the Black Friday shopping thing! I feel like my time is just as valuable as my money. Waiting in line for three hours with a bunch of grouchy people just to save $30 is totally not worth it to me! Several of my friends absolutely THRIVE on that atmosphere. They love the deals, the lines, the pushing, the elbow throwing...yikes!

    That being said, I did get up and head to Petsmart at 0645 on Black Friday. My only motivation is that I was planning to buy quite a few items for my new puppy and almost all of them were 50% off. I didn't have to wait in any lines and I bought stuff I was planning to buy anyways. Win-win for me! =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous of your running. I'm not able to do it right now because I've been experiencing +++++ pain again. Yes, again. I went for a bone scan last week and I talk to the dr about the results next week. Sigh. Pretty sure it's gonna say stress fractures in both tibias. Duh. Rest. That's about it.

    One day I'll be able to run again. Hoping to do a run in April....fingers crossed.

    Good for you! Keep on keepin on. And yes, rest when you are sick. don't push it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Darla, I'm so sorry! I hate that you're being kept from something you love so much. Any chance of pursuing cycling in the interim? I still have you to thank for getting me started on this crazy ride.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)