Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Content

I've been whittling away at my 8 12-hour Capstone night shifts on the Transplant ICU at Gargantuan hospital. As of this morning I've done 5 of the 8. I'm back again for the next 2 nights, and then a chaser shift on the 7th. At that point I will have completed all the requirements of my nursing school for graduation.

Transplant ICU has been interesting. I have a really great preceptor--so laid back--we fit perfectly. I've felt good about my contributions to the unit, and it's been great learning another aspect of ICU nursing.

In fact, this morning as I was leaving from shift #5, I found myself reflecting on the state of my life at this point, and a sense of well-being washed over me. The air was chilly, and the sun was just coming up. I was snuggled inside my college of nursing hoodie, and walking to the remote parking felt good.

I suddenly realized, I love my little ICU world. I love micro-managing my patient's care, and controlling every vital parameter. I love that the difference between doing well and crumping can be just a few mg/dL, or a few mmols. I love things as simple as writing vitals every hour, putting my mark on the chart stating, "I assessed this patient this hour, and things were good," or "things weren't so good so I..." I love that when patients go bad on the floor, they come down to me. I love the look of relief on the floor nurse's face when I take over responsibility for the patient's care. I love that docs ask me what I think the patient needs, and 9 times out of 10 they're on board with me. I love these things.

I love that I'm almost done with school. I love that the school and professors have thrown their worst at me, and I've met every challenge head on and succeeded. I love that I've excelled not only in classes, but in clinicals even more so.

I love that I have a job waiting for me. That I beat out 758 applicants that had been screened over the phone. I love the tone of respect in other people's voices when they hear which hospital I've been hired into, because it is truly a fantastic organization. I love the tone of respect in other nurse's voices when they talk about my home unit. I heard a Transplant ICU nurse say that on my home unit, "All the nurses are oddly intense."

I love that my wife truly gets what I'll be doing for a living. I love that I can complain about docs or nurses or lab or RTs and she understands why I'm frustrated. I love that I can throw out a set of vitals or lab values and she's appropriately shocked or mystified without me having to explain it.

Most of all, I love that my little, beautiful family is still gathered tightly around me despite the journey I've been on. I love that the kids still scream "DADDY!!!!" when I come home. I love that my wife kisses me and says, "Good job."

Life is good.

11 comments:

  1. As a second year med student truding through and feeling like the end is very far away, it's really uplifting to hear how healthcare students have not only battled through and survived, but have prevailed. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! It's really nice to be reminded of the excitement of graduating and starting a new job, and how lucky we are to do what we do. It's even better that you seem to have found your niche so well and you're getting to do what you really want to. There's something great to be said for being where you belong- I'm glad someone has the patience and organizational skills for all those drips and tubes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww how sweet! I didn't know you got the job for sure but good for you! In 2.5 years I hope to be a practicing nurse too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Huge congrats!! And I am so happy that you have such an amazingly supportive family!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I knew you would do it! And glad that everything is falling in place for you! The destination was worth all the heartache I am sure......and most of all, I am happy for you and your little family! :) because that is the whole reason d'etre....

    ReplyDelete
  6. btw: you have come a long way from June 20th. I am sooo proud of you and happy for u! :) *sigh*
    I love happy endings :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like that you love your life!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheer awesomeness.
    So happy for you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)