Friday, November 12, 2010

Hodge Podge

I'm continuing to lose weight despite being a little loose with my calories lately. In fact I flared back up to almost 246 after having a low of 242.8 recently. However as of today I was back down to 242.0, so a new low benchmark set. I've done decently with calories today. The good news of yesterday afternoon made it that much easier. A big part of my extra calorie excursions were of the liquid form--as in alcohol--as a result of my being passed over for the Level II hospital's critical care internship. I feel like I'm back on track though.

On a related note, today I wore a pair of jeans I had been clinging to before losing weight, even though they were really too small and too tight. In leaving the house for errands I managed to get out without a belt on, and it turns out that was a big mistake. I could barely keep them on my body. When I got home I attempted it, and the pants slid off easily without unbuttoning them. So, it appears my skinny jeans are now to big to be my fat jeans even...

On another semi-related note, part of my calorie-cheating came whilst having friends over to the house for dinner. We've known this couple for several years but haven't really done any one on one time with them. We had an awesome time--in fact my wife and I both were going to bring up to the other how much fun we had. They have three great kids that match up in age to our two youngest, and they had a blast running around the house like a squadron of fighter/bombers making all kinds of noise. It was a truly comfortable evening. I made a pizza from scratch, using my breadmaker to put the dough together, and then topping it in a mostly margherita style. I laid down some Muir Glen Organic pasta sauce and covered that with a few cups of finely chopped spinach. Then came a layer of grated mozzarella cheese overlaid with thinly sliced tomato rounds. I topped it all off with chopped fresh basil, and finished with a flourish of cubed fresh mozzarella round from the gourmet cheese counter. I wish I'd taken pictures because it was not only extremely delicious, it was also pretty!

My wife and I registered for our local Turkey Trot for our debut 5K. I'm pretty nervous because I've only run on the treadmill, I haven't run outside. Until today that is. We went to a local park with a jogging trail and did a lap. It was only 1.09 miles, but I really want to take it slowly because I don't want to risk getting hurt because of the new surface. It was then that I realized running isn't about the races anymore. It's my avenue to getting fit and losing weight, and if that means treadmill only, I'm so there. I just don't want to risk an injury that's going to set me back. We'll see how I feel in the morning.

My last final exam and a big scary OSCE are today. After that I'll only have my 96 hour Capstone left before I'm awarded my BSN. Did I study at all last night. Not a lick. I so don't care. I'll probably end up with a B in my gero class, but I simply don't care. It's only a 2 hour class and I think I wrapped up all A's in the other 12 hours I'm taking. We finally got our Capstone assignments--several weeks after others in my class. I got assigned to the Transplant ICU at Gargantuan hospital. I'm a little frustrated with that assignment because my very first choice was the CVICU where I'll be interviewing soon. And two of my clinical-mates are IN the CVICU. Grrr.

That's probably enough randomness for now.

2 comments:

  1. Yay for more weight loss! I LOVE when I discover my skinny jeans are now fat jeans...talk about an awesome feeling! It sounds like you've been working hard so good for you! And don't beat yourself up too much about the calories. No one is perfect and I think a little slip here and there is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you and your 5K coming up. I've found running around outside is much better than on a treadmill, because you can look around at the different scenery and get lost in your thoughts or music if you listen to any. Just don't forget while you're training to observe the laws of the roads so you don't get run over accidentally. Onward and upward towards the Boston Marathon! Haha.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)