Thursday, November 18, 2010

MyFitnessPal & RunKeeper

I've had my HTC Aria for about 6 months now, and I absolutely love it. Yes, it's a Droid, and no, it's definitely NOT an iPhone. I'm just now starting to sift through the mounds of apps and I've found a couple worth sharing.

First, MyFitnessPal. This is an amazing app, especially considering it's FREE! This keeps track of your calories, your exercise, your weigh-ins, even how many glasses of water you've had. But more than that, it has a searchable database of almost 500,000 foods including brand name and generic items, and when you add them to your meals, it adds nutritional info too. Calories, fat, carbs, protein, vitamins & minerals, and cholesterol. You have to check this out, it's very cool. Pretty sure they have a website too if you don't have a smartphone.

Next up is RunKeeper. This app does exactly what it sounds like--keeps track of your runs. It plots your course on GoogleMaps, keeps distance, speed, pace, calories, etc. Again, very cool, and FREE. There is website support too, where you can browse routes others have run. There is also a virtual race challenge where you can challenge someone near your level to a race and RunKeeper logs the runs and declares a winner.

Check them out, they've both helped me tremendously.

And I'm down to 237.0 today after running 47 min at an 11 minute pace. Hoping to be 225 by graduation, 4 weeks away.

5 comments:

  1. I use Runkeeper online. It is very motivating to me to keep track of the kilometers on my shoes and I like that it tracks any cardio activity. (I am Prairieknitwit there if you are looking for Runkeeper friends)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowie! I should relook at my 5BD, and check out what you've been doing? What's your secret for the eating side of things? I get that you're getting fit by being active, but to lose the weight I believe it by what you eat. Walk me through a typical day?
    I'm sure you'll hit your goal by graduation. No prob! Woot woot for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitely can relate to lovin' my ideal-Phone, I mean smartphone, for helping keep me honest for my workouts. I'm using miCoach right now, just to track the dates. On running dates I use the Couch to 5K running series, which is great, and then I'm doing cross-fit on other days.

    I'm not as ambitious as you, but trying to get closer to my ideal body weight, 25 lbs puts me well within the BMI range for 6'0, which I've more (especially lately) or less outside. Glad to hear you are having so much success. Keep up the hard work.

    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not Jenny: I haven't tried out the website yet, I'll look for you when I do.

    Zazzy: No real secret. I just limit myself to 1800 calories a day. It's funny though, sweet, high fat, or super calorie dense foods aren't easy to fit in, so in the name of a full and satisfied belly, those things tend to be eliminated from my diet quickly.

    Rob: Thanks man, good luck to you too. My wife and I used a C25K program as well. First race on Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the free fitness app tips. I too have a droid (Droid X), will have to try the my fitness pal.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)