Thursday, November 25, 2010

Well That Was...Fun

We're back from the race and I've had a hot shower.

As mentioned before, it got cold. Very cold. When we left the house this morning it had dropped from 64* to 47* in about 45 minutes. Now that we're home it's currently 36*. The wind is still blowing, but only 10-15 mph instead of 20 mph, but the wind chill is 29*. There were sprinkles of rain throughout the race.

But really the weather conditions weren't the tough part. For the first mile and a half I felt pretty good. We were cruising at a little faster than 10 minute pace, and we warmed up once we were running. But then this damn cold I've been fighting kicked in and my chest started tightening up. By about mile 2, it was clear I needed to walk. I waved my wife on and walked for a ways.

My wife finished close to 31 minutes which is the fastest she's ever run a 5k, especially considering the course was 3.18 miles, rather 3.1 (Awesome job sweetie!). She did amazingly well. I finished about 2 minutes behind her, and several minutes over my fastest 5k to date (about 28 minutes).

I'm trying hard to help my wife celebrate her success, but the truth is I'm devastated, and embarrassed. Not only did I not perform very well, I didn't even run the whole course. I'm so frustrated this cold had to hit when it did. It kept me out of the gym for 5 days, kept me up at nights, and dragged me down at the race. I've been preparing for this morning for 6 months, and the only time I've been sick in those 6 months is the week of the race. I'm just really, really disappointed. I should be happy for just finishing at all given where I started, but I'm not. It puts a lot of pressure on me for the next race, because now I have no excuse not to improve my time...

It also made me realize that though I've come so far, I still have a long, long road to go--29 lbs. 29 lbs is a LOT of weight. It's more than my wife wanted to lose TOTAL. It's what I have LEFT, after 6 months of hard work. Why oh why did I ever let myself get this way?!

Embarrassing.

9 comments:

  1. I can understand you are disappointed, but I still think you should be proud! You still went out in freezing weather, with an annoying cold, and did the 5k! Anyways, my mom went to run a marathon to try and qualify for the Boston one, but of course, the day of the race it snows for like the first time since the ice age! She was 5 mins short from qualifying. Oh well, Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always focus on the positive! You did great and there are *always* more races to be run.

    You went out and proved yourself against the elements and yourself. Take strength from that and know the next race will be even better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your first race! I am sorry you feel disappointed and embarrassed, but I see nothing for you to be ashamed of. You went out there in the cold, feeling sick and you FINISHED! Your "bad" time was much, much better than my first 5K time.

    I think you should be very proud of yourself. (you motivated me to get off my arse and put a couple of miles on my treadmill today)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cut it out!! You did a great job and you finished. I remember when I ran my first race that I thought I'd be able to run the whole thing. True was I didn't. Never fear, that is what inspires you to keep going and have a place to say this is your baseline. You can go up from here and you can go down from here. You both should be proud of yourselves and the fact that you got out there and off the couch and ran your 5K, shows to many others it is possible to become a runner. Way to go you two, FYI, it becoems addicting you start wondering when you can get out there and race again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you did awesome! I can understand your disappointment, as it sounds as though you set really high standards for yourself in all areas. But I admire your training regimen and discipline so much. It is hard to fit that into a busy schedule. I have let myself get out of shape. You are inspiring me to get off my butt :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you everyone. I am thankful for each and every one of your encouraging words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dude - when I ran that 5k a while back I thought I was going to DIE. Little elderly gentlemen and ladies were mopping the floor with me. Running 3 miles solid when you're still getting into shape AND you're sick is not a thing to be sneezed at. Also, honestly I'm back at being able to do 2 miles...I'd need to work back up to a 5k!

    You're doing a lot of a good for yourself. Even plateauing here would not be bad. Bad would be to do nothing until the end of your days.

    Not knowing your individual situation, as a general thing I would suggest adding some strength training if you haven't. Try reading www.stronglifts.com or just do dumbbell or resistance band exercises, or bodyweight exercises (pushups etc). I'm sure you know this, but muscle tissue has a way higher metabolic rate than adipose tissue, so that increases your basal metabolic rate = more weight loss without trying as hard. I found that I hit a plateau with cardio and then some basic strength training (and I'm still a wimp, mind you) knocked me down several more pounds.

    Also strength training is WAY EASIER than endurance training like even a run/walk 5k...which is another reason you should be proud you did it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is INCREDIBLE you did this. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)