Sunday, November 14, 2010

BMI

After reading Chris's post over at The Man Nurse Diaries regarding his efforts to get fit and lose weight, he discussed BMI. Of course how truly useful the BMI measurement is remains to be debated by people smarter than me. But regardless of how valid the number is in actually delineating health, it can be used to track progress. And it's a measurement I'd forgotten about (when you're as densely framed as I am, it really holds little or no validity, but I digress) until Chris brought it up.

I googled a BMI calculator, and then plugged in my numbers.

At 6'1" and 284 lbs (my heaviest), my calculated BMI was 37.5.

At 6'1" and 241 lbs (my current), my calculated BMI is 31.8.

At 6'1" and 208 lbs (my goal weight), my calculated BMI will be 27.4.

To put myself at the high end of normal BMI of 24.9 or lower, I would have to weigh 188. I just don't see that happening. Not without a tapeworm or some other disease...

8 comments:

  1. Don't sell yourself short. I bet you could get down to 188 lbs. You've already made so much progress. It's really inspirational!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I worked a couple summers on a US Forest Service fire crew in Southwest Colorado. Hiking around at 10k+ feet with a 30 lb pack and a chainsaw while not consuming nearly enough calories only netted me 195. I'm serious when I say I have a very dense body type--I don't float in water, literally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you checked out the 5 Bite Diet you could probably reach that 188 in a matter of months. http://frazzledrazzlern.blogspot.com/2010/11/5bd.html
    Haha, not that you would want to. You'd probably be pretty gaunt and too weak to be standing. Enjoy how far you've come and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How's that going? I've been meaning to ask you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh be confident! You can do anything if you put your mind to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of just feeling healthy. You know - before everyone worried about BMI and all....

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll put an update on my blog when something substantial happens. So far I'm done 5#, hey better than nothing. I'm not following it as strictly either. Thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes - stay far away from that darn BMI. It's a horrible measurement tool.
    According to the BMI scale I'm still over weight and will always be over weight.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)