Saturday, November 13, 2010

Wedding Re-Banding

Much like my pants (as mentioned in last post), my wedding band is loose on my finger due to my weight loss. I've mentioned that it's slipped off in the shower before. Lately I feel like I have to take it off when I'm on the treadmill because my fingers get so sweaty I have visions of it coming off, getting into the innerworkings of the treadmill, and simultaneously getting destroyed while launching me halfway across the gym in a freak treadmill accident. The final straw was this morning when I realized the a simple shake of my hand allows my ring to slip off unassisted. It's time to get a new, smaller ring.

My wedding band is titanium and I love it. It is so unbelievable light, I soon forgot I had it on after I started wearing it. This is huge for me, because I'm not really a jewelry kind of guy, and having something on my fingers or hands has bothered me in the past. These days though I find myself checking to make sure it is indeed on my finger, and I take comfort in its presence and what it represents to me. The finish on my ring has worn to a nice satin finish from all the minor scratches and scuffs. One my suspect that titanium would be so hard it wouldn't scratch, but that just isn't the case. It is also slightly out of round after a run-in with an airbag during a wreck during my junior I semester. It holds tremendous sentimental value to me, and I will likely continue to wear it on a chain around my neck.

This time out, I think I am going to get a tungsten carbide ring instead. The shops that I've been surveying have lifetime warranties on scratches and damage--tungsten carbide is just that strong. Additionally, most places offer a lifetime sizing warranty--if you lose or gain weight, they'll replace your ring with one of a proper size since tungsten carbide can't be resized. Impressive, yes. But likely this just means I'm going to waaaaay over pay for my ring if they can afford to do that. But whatever.

I thought I'd post pictures of the leading contenders, and see what you guys think. Feel free to leave your opinion in comment form, but realize my wife kind of has final say on this one. :)

First up is the Guiness Celtic Knot ring. Given my Scottish background, I dig the Celtic themes as you will soon see. I like the contrast this ring has between the knot and the background. I also dig the satin like finish of the background. I like the beveled edges, and the flat profile. I should add this is my wife's favorite at the moment.

I like the subtle nature of this design. It's Celtic, but slightly modern. There isn't a lot of contrast with this one, which I also think is cool. It's the cheapest of the three by a long shot, not that that is the most important thing, but it is a bonus.

I think this is my favorite of the three. I dig the black tungsten. A lot. Again with the Celtic theme, and it doesn't get much higher contrast than this one.

Anyway, let me know which is your favorite and why, if you please.

Oh, and 241.2 after my workout this morning.

8 comments:

  1. I like the second ring for the reasons you listed. It has a Celtic motif while staying modern. The design is more intricate, yet the low contrast keeps it from being fussy.

    I don't like the black ring, but I think that's because I didn't see the Celtic theme clearly. My first thought was that it looked like some kind of alien language. Which then led me to associate the ring with Star Trek (Stewart, not Shatner). Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) But now that's all I see when I look at it. Apparently first impressions do matter.

    And congrats on your stats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't get your original ring resized? I like number one. Three is cool looking, but to me, number one looks more like a wedding band. As a woman, it would be important to me for others to recognize that my husband is wearing a wedding band, not just a cool-looking ring. Gotta make sure those other ladies know you are off the market!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, unfortunately, titanium doesn't lend itself to resizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. All great rings.

    Like you I can't stand anything on my hands or wrists. My watch goes on just before clinical/work and comes off as soon as I swipe out.

    I would really consider going with a softer metal. If something happens that causes your hand to swell you could quickly lose a finger.
    Not to mention you don't have any of the resizing issues.
    Just my .02

    ReplyDelete
  5. The black one looks like a tire, or like the tread a tire leaves behind. Not digging that one.
    I think the middle one, looks a little gothic like Rob Zombie would wear it.
    But I do appreciate the look of the first one with the Celtic meaning behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Number 1: I like the Celtic theme (being part irish myself) but to me, it looks more like a braid and less Celtic
    Number 2: It looks Native American to me. Doesn't look Celtic at all.
    Number 3: Looks definitely Celtic - just like the celtic designs in a book that I have - the intertwining. I also like the dark look.

    My choice would be #3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. #1 or #3. I like the contrast. #2 just doesn't stand out enough.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like subtle, so I like the second one...my only thought about the choice of metal is "can it be cut by a ring cutter?"

    Certain alloys are harder than the metals in ring cutters and (sorry, emergency background= thinking about worst case scenario at all times) if you ever injured your hand it can be a serious serious problem getting the rings off.

    Just a random thought from (overly?) paranoid blog-buddy.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)