Thursday, September 30, 2010

Skills Test

The powers that be in our CON have decided that we'll be subject to a skills evaluation before we're allowed to graduate. I have no problem with this, it seems only fair. But someone has decided that we are to remain in the dark about exactly which skills we'll be tested over. This is annoying to me, but I feel pretty comfortable as I've been working all along and have routinely done most of the skills I can think of. However, on the other hand, I think it's a pretty stupid policy.

Turns out I wasn't the only one. A few days ago during a class break, I had an instructor I didn't know pull me aside.

"I hear you are the outspoken student of the class," she stated.

"Uh, yeah, I seem to have garnered that reputation," I replied.

"I see. Well, I need you to create a ruckus for me."

She went on to detail how half the faculty completely disagrees with the no disclosure policy. They think it's absolutely wrong, and unfair. Many students may not have performed these skills since Junior I semester, and then only in lab.

So, in an effort to be helpful, I did indeed create a ruckus. I posted the following on WebCT, our official class e-bulletin board:

To Whom It May Concern:

As the skills evaluation draws ever nearer, I find myself
more and more concerned about the manner in which we
are being tested.

Why are the skills we are being tested over shrouded in
such secrecy? I'm finding this to be a serious impediment
to my preparation.

If the goal of nursing school is to prepare us for the real
world, then we should be given the means to adequately
prepare for this evaluation. In real life we would never be
expected to enter a patient room to blindly perform an
unknown procedure. Such a practice would surely
compromise patient safety and put our hard-won licenses
at great risk.

In fact, I believe this attitude of secrecy fosters a climate of
"fake it until you make it" that is both dangerous and could
potentially become an embarrassment to the ***CON.

***CON actively cultivates a reputation of turning out
supremely prepared students. This policy seems in direct
contradiction to the circumstances of this practical exam.

I respectfully request that a full list of the skills in question
be released so that my classmates and I are able to
adequately prepare.

Regards,

NurseXY


And create a ruckus it did. 79 responses later, the thread is still going on.

Have they revealed the skills?

No, they haven't.

Yet.

Don't you just love a good ruckus?

6 comments:

  1. Heh. You do know this will piss off the powers-that-be to no end. Great advocacy for yourself and your fellow students, and I agree completely. Nursing instructors ought to exemplify best practices and behaviour. Your point about performing skills is dead on.

    At any rate, when they fold, sweetly thank them for upholding the values and reputation of your school. That will make them quite crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. Like, no list at all? That is some blatant douchebaggery. We had to draw our skills out of a hat, but at least we knew what we were getting into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did this "instructor" promise that by creating this ruckus you'd be safe from any backlash? Just making sure your butt was covered. Otherwise your post was well written. Can you help me by writing my Existentialism papers? Seems my instructor thinks I'm trying too hard at being philosophic and coming out more confusing in the end. Ha ha ha that's hard to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I would have mentioned a thing or two myself! that is crazy! I think this is crap and they will crash in the end your letter was very well put.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you. Don't take any crap. I absolutely agree with your concern.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  6. TE: That was one added bonus. Who doesn't like getting in a swing on "the Man", or rather the little old shriveled up ladies upstairs in CON Admin?

    NNITH: When we were first evaluated on these skills way back in Foundations, it was like that-- the hat of death.

    Zazzy: I highly doubt the school wants to keep me around any longer than necessary. I like to rock the boat and they get sea sick easily. They generally don't know what to do with me. PS: I'm no good at that philosophy bs.

    Medical and POP, thanks for the support.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)