Monday, September 20, 2010

Finish Line

Late last night, after the kids were in bed I got the hiccups for the first time in what must be several years. Like everything else my body does, my hiccups arrived with wild abandon, each one a violently painful event. They hung around well into my efforts to fall asleep until frustrated, I held my breath, determined to either pass out cold, or end my hiccuping. I woke up this morning hiccup-less, so I'm not sure which happened.

But this post isn't about my hiccups.

They aren't that significant aside from the fact that kept me from enjoying what would have ordinarily a rather pleasurable event. Last night I booked a post-graduation trip for my wife and me.

I've done quite a bit of traveling around the States, and have become much more confident in finding my way around somewhere new. I originally started looking at hotels on the Mexican coast, flying in for several days of beach relaxation. But the hotels in our price range had some questionable reviews. And I don't just mean things like rude staff, far from the beach, or run down rooms. Things like fleas. Yes, FLEAS. Or worse, mandatory timeshare sales presentations. Even the famous all-inclusive resorts had reports of crappy food and watery drinks.

So, because we're on a budget, we ended up on a cruise. We know the food is excellent and the quarters are adequate. The price is unbeatable given the nearest port is just a few hundred miles drive, so no airfare. Five nights with two ports of call is costing 2/3 what a 3 night stay at a resort, plus food included.

I know it's the "safe" option, but frankly I don't really care. It's about getting away and celebrating. Incidentally, it's the same boat we honeymooned on 5 years ago this summer.

Cheesy? Maybe a little.

Poetic? Maybe a little.

4 comments:

  1. dood, i lurve cruises. they are the BEST! i would rather go on a cruise than any other vacay. we've been on two, a 5 nighter outta LA, (san diego, catalina, ensenada) and a 7 nighter outta seattle to alaska. soooooo jealous. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some day I'll be able to afford a cruise and vacation time. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cruise sounds awesome... plus you get a beach in there too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saaa-weeeet!

    You guys area going to have a blast!

    Remember to take pictures so you can remember that you went :) LOL

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)