Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Rubbing Elbows

I just got home from the recruiting event for the major hospital where I've applied for the TICU internship.

It was held at a local old-school hacienda type Mexican restaurant known for their food, but my preparation started much earlier in the day. I first scoured over my resume for the 39th time, and then printed off 15 copies onto 32# almond colored paper. Next, I went and got a professional haircut. Normally I just take the clippers and buzz it as close as possible to avoid having to deal with it for at least 3 weeks, but I figured this occasion called for the professional touch. I went over my wardrobe choices 27.6 times, and settled on a charcoal gray pinstripe suit, with a baby blue shirt and green and blue paisley tie. Of course at the last minute I changed my mind and ended up in gray slacks, a dark blue shirt and a dark green and blue tie. The invitation said casual dress, so I thought the suit might be a little over the top--a concern that played out once I arrived. I was definitely one of the better dressed guys there--a major plus--but the suit might just have come off as arrogant or kiss-assish.

The weather here is beautiful, so I had a lovely 25 minute drive with the top off the Jeep, and that turned out to be the best decision all day. The sunshine and cool breeze totally relaxed me and put me in a great mood for the event.

I arrived 15 minutes early, and there was already a line out the door. I would estimate there were at least 150 people there, and it was an RSVP only event. They opened the doors at 1700 on the dot (awesome!), we got signed in, and were directed to the recruiting area. Each unit or specialty area had a table set up with actual hiring managers manning the post. By the time I got inside there was already a crowd around the critical care tables. I waited my turn with the TICU first, and got several minutes alone with them as the managers were some serious tough cookies to talk with. I just kept at it though, asking questions, talking about the hospitals goals and visions, and I was rewarded with a genuine interested conversation. Most of my classmates I spoke with didn't even leave resumes at the TICU table because of the stonewall act. I waited until I was about to walk away to drop my ace-in-the-hole. I have a good friend that works in the TICU and he's been whispering my name in their ears for the last month or two. It was great to see the recognition in their faces when I made the connection for them, but also to know that I held my own and possibly impressed them on my own merits first. I left my resume and expressed my interest.

Next I slid over to the CVICU table and waited in a much longer line. I took the same tact, asking questions, making conversation. I then relayed the fact that I'd done my critical care rotation on that particular unit, and the manager totally remembered me. I again left a resume and expressed my interest of working on that particular unit.

At that point, there were no other units that I was interested in, so I headed to the food area. The food was excellent of course. I saved 1000 calories for my dinner, and I only hope that was enough. Two mini shredded beef chimichangas, two potato flautas, and beans and queso. Yummy.

The night started winding down about 1830, and the recruiting room was really slow. I took the opportunity to let them see my face one more time, being sure to thank them for taking the recruiting funds and time out of their schedules to put on the event.

All and all I would definitely call the event a success for me. I was very relaxed, and the units I made contact with I had a personal connection to each manager. I didn't feel intimidated by the number of people attending, despite the stacks of resumes on the tables. I felt good with only talking to the two units. I feel like I'll definitely get an interview, and then the game starts all over again.

Feel free to send good thoughts and prayers my way!

7 comments:

  1. zomg! Absolutely 100% good vibes being sent your way from this (only slightly) jealous nowhere-near-grad :) Best of luck Drofen!! I can't wait till it's NurseXY, the life and times of an ICU nurse! :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to here it went well!!!! Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Lord, please help "___" aka NurseXY in his adventures to getting the job where you want him. Please help his path be quick and smooth with little to no road bumps. Amen!
    Way to go on smoozing, and also way to go on having someone from the inside get into their heads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad it seemed to go well. I will say you did well do be the nicer dressed one it shows you were serious about the oppurtunity to meet with them. and having asked your questions and being up to date on the vision of the hospital and some of thier info really gives you a foot in the door. all in all I think you played it very well!! good luck my friend good vibes going your way!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. good luck... it can be rough out there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys. Good luck with your hunt as well Wil.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)