Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Opening Salvo

I finally got to apply for one of the internships I'm interested in yesterday. I expect the other two to be posted by Friday. I left class yesterday to fill out my application--there was no way I'd be able to sit still and listen knowing it had been posted. I've spent the time since then securing letters of recommendation and ordering transcripts.

I also took the psychological battery of testing they require. Those tests always creep me out. The majority of the questions I can see what they're driving at, but sometimes I'm at a loss as to how to answer.

This particular internship is on a Trauma ICU in a major hospital. They are only a Level II center, but it's only because of a lack of research. They are in the process of obtaining their Level I status.

There are many good things about this particular internship. The name is an excellent resume padding name. Many instructors and faculty from the two CRNA schools in town actually work at this hospital. The facility is directly across the street from my wife's hospital, which means we could commute together, even eat meals together.

Also, a good friend of mine that graduated a year ahead of me works on this unit, and he's been awesome at dropping my name in management laps. We have very similar career goals. We are both in the same phase of life--second career, wife kids, etc. We live right around to corner from each other.

Tomorrow night the hospital is hosting a meet and greet type event at a local restaurant. The hiring managers and supervisors from each unit with an active internship will be present, so it will be great way to rub elbows.

I'll be there with bells on.

3 comments:

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)