Friday, September 17, 2010

Good for the Sole

I haven't mentioned running in detail lately, but it's still the major portion of my workouts. I've increased to running 4 times a week which is huge because it means that I'm running 2 days back to back to make it all fit. In the past there simply was no way that could happen. I needed that day in between to recover, and I was almost always sore or ankles and knees hurting. I have always just attributed that to the fact that I am so overweight. But a veteran runner friend of mine at church mentioned that the research all says that if you want to steadily improve, you really need to be running 4 times a week. 3 times a week maintains, and slowly improves, but 4 times a week makes the difference. I think it's no coincidence that my slow and steady weight loss coincides with my increased frequency of working out.

I still hurt some days, but not every day, and that's an improvement. After completing the C25K program (actually at the end of week 6 we just started running 30 min rather than dragging it out) we were extremely pleased with the progress we'd made. We went from being winded after running the 1 minute intervals in the first week workout to running 20-30 minutes at a time. My only disappointment was the pace at which we ended up--12 minute miles. 5 miles an hour is definitely faster than a brisk walk, but it also wasn't exactly burning up the treadmill either. In fact, I hated glancing over at the mirrors on the wall at the gym while we were running because it revealed exactly how slow a 12 minute mile is. I was dripping sweat, but from the looks of things in the mirror, I was loping along at a light jog.

So I started over.

I am now in Week 2 of the workout plan, except at an 8 minute mile pace. 7.5 miles per hour is actually a comfortable pace for me biomechanically, although I feel pretty much back at square one fitness-wise--dripping in sweat and ragged out at the end of every workout. But it's stretching me, and I can feel myself improving with each workout.

My new workout plan calls for 3 days of the C25K interval training at an 8 minute mile pace, and the fourth day I run a constant pace for 30 minutes. I'm already feeling an improvement 3 weeks in. Today I ran 30 minutes at 5.3 mph, rather than 5.0 mph. It's the fastest I've run 30 minutes. It may not sound like much, but around here we celebrate small gains (and losses!!). More than that, at about 12 minutes in, I think I caught a runner's high. I had a wave of calm and well-being wash over me. My breathing relaxed, and my stride loosened. I haven't felt that sensation since I was running in high school. What a beautiful thing.

I can already tell I'm going to need new shoes in a few months--in fact it's my wife's and my planned Christmas gift to each other. Imagine that, wearing out a pair of running shoes by running.

I never thought I'd be the one to do that...

7 comments:

  1. Good for you! Keep it up! You have everyone in blogland rooting for you! wow. i don't think i have EVER worn out a pair of running shoes..... I think I admire you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll get there. If you can jog 30 minutes straight, you're already ready for a 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you crazy?, starting over, goodness.. Well I guess if you felt like the pace you were going at wasn't fast enough then I get it, but from square one huh? Well good for you. I've fallen off the C25K running plan myself here lately, I'm glad it's a good program that you can start over and over again. My hubby speaks about being in that runner's high zone but I have yet to feel that. I am constantly focused on each leg moving and the pain and the time etc etc.
    But good for you guys! Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE it when a pair of running shows get worn out from running....nothing in the world like a runners high :)

    RN school has just killed my routine.
    Everytime I think I have a way to balance it the routine gets slammed in the can to make room for studying, writing, project meetings, and sleep.
    Ugh

    Good on you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was your first C25K post (whenever that was...) that inspired me to try it out after I returned from Thailand. I just finished W5D3. It was nuts and I went slow as molasses but I am so, so, so amazed that I ran for 20 minutes without stopping (or even feeling like I should!) Thanks, sir :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris: Our target is the local Turkey Trot, since it will (hopefully) cooled down by then, and we have friends that run it every year.

    ZE: Keep at it, it eventually becomes enjoyable, as foreign as that sounds. Yeah, I'm starting it over, much faster pace this time!

    SAMTNS: I'm with you. It feels like the teachers are actually conspiring to steal your life from you. I finally just made workouts the top priority after making sure my kids are cared for.

    URN: I'm glad my struggle inspired you! Isn't it so very liberating knowing you just completed something that a few short weeks ago was totally impossible?!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)