Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Pressure Cooker

I've been open and up front with my boss about putting applications in at other hospitals. He's cool with it, and just wants me to end up somewhere I can be happy. Which I guess is much better than the alternative.

However, I went into work to write my schedule in, and he called me into his office. He let me know he would be posting the internship position soon, and should he decide to extend me a job offer, I'll have a hard deadline to give him a decision.

I can certainly understand his position, he needs to get a candidate tied into the internship. My fear is simply this, if his deadline falls before I hear back from the other hospitals, what do I do?

Do I take the job? Because an ICU job of any kind is nothing to throw away lightly, especially given my CRNA school plans.

Do I pass on the job? Wand just hope and pray the other, better positions come through? What if I pass and then I don't get hired into my dream job?

Even thinking about this quandary has me throwing a string of PVCs. The pressure is mounting, and he hasn't even given me a deadline yet.

Thoughts anyone?

5 comments:

  1. Dude, you're making harder than it needs to be.

    You only have one question to answer:
    Are you happy there and will you be happy there until you get into a CRNA masters program?

    If you'll be happy - do it.
    If it'll make you miserable - get the dell outta hodge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd pretty much agree with the above.

    If you're happy, stay - because I've done enough bank shifts to know finding somewhere happy is a rare thing.

    If you're not happy, go - Is this the same place that gave you the sting of patients which you blogged about less than a year ago? If so, you might want to ask yourself if this is the norm, and if it is, do you want this?

    It's never easy and I'm sure you'll make the right decision. I hope it feels like the right decision, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I am a little more conservative....I would say "a bird in the hand".....
    BUT. On the other hand, if I did get a sincere-not-to-be-resisted job offer elsewhere, where they could guarantee hours, and NOT have to contact the present employer (I have done it in the past) I wouldn't hesitate on changing jobs. You have to think what is best for YOU. I wouldn't keep "loyalty" to your employer from going elsewhere if you have a bonefide offer.

    Once I applied at 2 different places...told my employer #1 I was turning down their offer for the other....went to employer #2 and went thru orientation, realized my mistake, QUIT...then went back to employer #1. There were no hard feelings on either side. My feelings were...if employer #2 really wanted to keep any employee, they would improve the working environment.

    I didn't feel bad at all about doing it. After all, to myself be true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops. bonafide. Typing too fast again. :(

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)