Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Level II Interview

I got a call today to schedule a peer interview with the CVICU at the Level II trauma center across the street from my wife's hospital. I had heard the rumor that they weren't going to be interviewing until November some time, so I was delighted to hear from them. I go in at 1330 on Thursday to meet with a panel of staff nurses, and then they will make recommendation to the managers and charge nurses. Then the managers and charge nurses conduct a second round of interviews to decide on who gets the offer. Kind of stressful really, so I think I'll just concentrate on one step at a time.

Good things about this hospital include the fact that it is across the street from where my wife works. This means we could carpool, and even eat meals together. It is also a unit with a reputation for turning out CRNA school candidates. And better yet, many of the staff from the schools work at the local CRNA programs--including on the admissions committees--work at this hospital also. It is also a much shorter drive than driving to Gargantuan hospital where I've also interviewed. Like half the time and distance.

On the downside, the parent organization for this hospital has a reputation for being super cost conscious. I did my critical care rotation on this unit, so I have a pretty good picture of day to day life there. There are often several triples at the beginning of the shift. They usually get them shipped out pretty quickly, but the workload is definitely legit.

If I get an offer from both the Level II hospital and the Gargantuan hospital it will be very, very tough to decide.

As always, I'll covet your good vibes and prayers on Thursday. I've heard these peer interviews can be tough.

3 comments:

  1. Go get'em champ! You'll do well. How cool would it be to eat lunch with your wife and take a walk together if your schedules permit. What a nice way to connect during your work day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do you wish "good luck" to a nurse? You know how actors get all huffy and superstitious if you say that so we have to give them, "break a leg" instead?

    Would "break a leg" in your case be a jinx? Considering the profession?

    Maybe "do a great job on the stage" is the safest for you then. :)

    Either way, have a great interview. Knock...em...out!

    ABB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks you two. Interview is on hold now though. :(

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)