Thursday, October 28, 2010

Interviewed

I interviewed for the critical care residency at Level II hospital today. Let me tell you, this interview was no joke--they were not messing around. There were 5 of them, and if you're keeping score there's only 1 of me. The educator in charge of the residency conducted the interview, and the other 4 in attendance were managers from various ICUs.

Honestly though, I just took a deep breath and forced myself to relax. They were all very courteous and friendly, for which I was thankful. I at least felt like I was charming them a bit.

And then the questions started. First up were the expected questions, "Why our hospital?" And "Why critical care?" Then she cut to the situational questions. Fifteen of them. Fifteen! There was only one that I stumbled a bit on--I asked that we skip it and when we came back to it, I had a ready answer.

The program sounds pretty sweet--it's two years long. The first 3 weeks are hospital and nursing orientation. Then comes 4 weeks on each of the 5 ICUs. Then it's match day, and the home unit starts the full on orientation for at least 12 weeks. Then the remainder of the 2 years is spent working and still some class time. The residency closes out with a CCRN class and the CCRN exam. In return, the hospital wants a 3 year commitment starting with the residency.

I feel pretty good about the interview, but they are interviewing through the end of next week. So we'll see.

***********

I got to run with my wife today for the first time in several months. It was a good workout. 30 min at a 10 min pace, but on the hill climb function on the treadmill. I only had it set on level 1, but it was good for 674 calories. Weighed in after my workout at 245.0.

6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the interview. It seems like just getting that far is a great accomplishment these days. Hope it ends well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I REALLY hope you get this. Shit, I would love to sign up for that! You have no idea what kind of opportunity that is. So many hospitals have cut their new grad programs, and nurses new to ICU are forced to take computer learning programs while they precept for 4 weeks and then are thrown out there for good. It would be so so awesome for you to get this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is an AMAZING opportunity!!! I have my fingers and toes crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got this! Good going on the weight loss too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) Good luck! Somehow I think that Luck won't have anything to do with it though. I would think any Unit would be thankful to have you there....

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a great opportunity.. i wish you all the best! Also a high five on running with your wife.. quality time and calorie burning..

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)