Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Honors and the Stink

I opened my school inbox last night to discover an email from Sigma Theta Tau with an invitation to join. It was an unexpected honor, and it lifted my spirits a bit after the Level II debacle. The induction ceremony is on December 15th, the day before graduation and pinning. At the very least, it's something to put in my resume and CRNA school application. It also may mean I'll be exempt from taking the GRE for CRNA school as well.

The dues are steeeep, and then I have to pay $12 for my purple honors cord for graduation. And another pin for $45. How is it that doing well in school is costing me more money? Doesn't seem right.

In fact, it just plain stinks.

But not as bad as my nursing school shoes.

Part of our strictly enforced dress code (the faculty will actually write us "tickets" that result in being put on contract if we break the code,) calls for 100% white shoes.

I hate white shoes.

But I have faithfully worn my solid white New Balance 622s for the last 2 years, and now they stink.

Nay, they REEK.

I noticed the stench got much worse after Hermine (that b*+ch,) soaked me from brow to toe. And it's quite embarrassing really, but I'll be danged if I'm going to buy another pair of $75 shoes for the next 2 months never to be worn again.

Maybe I'll try soaking them in bleach water. Or maybe that biological odor spray we save for the c-diff patients.

Anyway, that's the Honors and the Stink.

3 comments:

  1. I vote for the bio odor spray. Anything that can mask c-diff has to be a good bet.

    I am sorry about the implosion of that job opportunity.

    And congrats on the honors.

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Congrats on the Sigma Theta Tau invite. That is pretty cool, last night we had our first of two orientations that mentioned that name in our student handbook. You're right, all we do is pay, pay, pay!
    Smelly shoes huh? Try spraying the inside of them with vinegar to neutralize the order and stick newspaper in them to absorb extra odor and moisture. Then after the vinegar has dried, pour a little baking soda in the shoe and swirl it around and then dump the excess out and see if that helps. Worked for a smelly pair I had.
    Won't you need white shoes for your career, which you'd need to buy a new pair anyway?

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...or buy a $15 pair at Walmart, and spray paint them white....if you never have to wear them again.......what the hey....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)