Friday, October 15, 2010

Four and a Quarter

On Wednesday I had an all around bad day. It should have been a good day. I finished up my management clinical, and then my clinical instructor invited a special guest to post conference. The special guest turned out to be the manager of my first choice unit at Gargantuan Hospital! So while I got to schmooze the manager some more, overall my day was still bad.

It all started with this box of donuts...

I have to leave my house very early to get to Gargantuan hospital at the beginning of day shift, so I typically don't take the time to eat breakfast before I go. When I got to clinical, HR was on the floor to do an inservice on upcoming benefits changes. Naturally, I attended as a part of my clinical experience. Well, she brought donuts. She explicitly offered me some, and not wanting to appear rude (and because I hadn't eaten), I accepted.

And it all went downhill from there.

Before it was all said and done, I had eaten 4 of those puppies. Which surprisingly isn't just a huge amount of calories. However, 4 donuts just isn't very much food, not to mention straight carbs gets emptied from the stomach immediately. So even as the sugar rush washed sickeningly over me, I was still hungry. And then the pounding sugar headache settled in.

After clinical I headed to the gym like I usually do and got on the treadmill. I felt awful. I got 2 minutes into my my first 3 minute interval and had to walk. I then slowed my speed and tried running for time and distance, and didn't make it but 6 minutes more before needing to walk again. I had to do that several times. I ended my workout having only burned 400 calories and running 2.27 miles.

Yesterday was a full day of school work with a major paper to be completed. As the day wore on, I became more and more antsy. I finally succumbed to the call of the gym, and had a fantastic workout. 4.25 mi at a 10 minute pace, 840 calories. Farther and faster than ever before.

1 comment:

  1. Oh I've had those days, attacked by sugar. I can head it off if I can get a good meal asap. Now with all my medical weirdness, I control the sugar high/carb hangover with some vitamin supplements that work surprisingly well.

    Let's hope the manager was properly impressed.

    Tomorrow's another day!

    Death to Donuts!

    M
    P.S. Here's irony for you...I'm totally having pumpkin donuts tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)