Friday, December 17, 2010

Pinning Ceremony

Next up in the Graduation-Season-Gala-Extravaganza-Event was our pinning ceremony. As you can tell from the left there, I finally made it to the big screen. The 100" plasma screens at my church that is. Our pinning event was held in my church building, mostly because I was able to negotiate an amazing deal on the cost, and as a venue it was pretty much perfect. It was a big point of contention that the school itself (because pinning is not a school supported event) was going to charge us out the ass to use their facilities. On top of that, if we held it at the school, on top of the rental fees, the audio-visual department within the nursing school would have to provide their services for a mandatory fat payment suggested donation of $1000. Given their track record, I we didn't want them to have any part of our ceremony. Not to mention the principle of paying to use facilities at an institution we'd just paid $40,000+ to, to earn the degree in the first place. Thankfully because I'm good friends with the facilities manager at our church, we got an amazing buddy deal. Full venue with professional audio-visual for a mere pittance over what just the audio-visual would have cost us at the school.

I gave my speech pretty much verbatim as posted here, save for a few added inside jokes (thanks for the suggestion Will). I also took the opportunity (and advantage of having a microphone) to tell my wife that I loved her when I made the point that we needed to tell those we love that we love them. I have it on good word from those that she was seated next to that it brought some tears to her eyes (mission accomplished). The speech went over well, and I received many compliments from families of classmates--complete strangers--as well as classmates and faculty. I enjoyed being up in front of so many people, and mercifully I wasn't the least bit nervous.

Here is my lovely wife pinning me on stage to the tune of Coldplay's Life in Technicolor. I really was privileged to be pinned by someone I love so much, who also happens to be an RN and working member of the profession. I even caught her getting a little teary eyed as she pinned me.

My service to the pinning committee was providing the venue, the heavy lifting, and the occasional reality check to the estrogen infused pinning committee meetings. There were essentially two other people that bore the brunt of the rest of the organizational duties, and they did an amazing job. The faculty present gave several comments to how nice our ceremony was, and how much they enjoyed it. The entire ceremony went off with only a minor hitch or two, which was gratifying considering the amount of work involved.

Overall I'm glad I was involved as I was in the planning and execution of this event. In the past I wouldn't have bothered with something so inane and peckish. I hope that's a sign that I'm really going to take to this nursing thing.

10 comments:

  1. Good job XY! Very beautiful family! You've made it into the big leagues mister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. What a beautiful family! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAY oh YAY oh YAY! Can you believe this day is finally here? SO friggen awesome.
    Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there it is... all you have to do now is pass the NCLEX (which is not as bad as people make it out to be). Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool! Welcome to the profession. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Zazzy: Aren't they gorgeous? (Not that I'm biased...)

    RNR: Thank you, it was a blast.

    RW: It still hasn't sunk in. It seemed so far off 2 years ago, and now it's here. Thank you so much for hanging around through my journey. You really have no idea how much that means. And yeah, it does feel *friggin* awesome!

    Will: Yeah, I'm lining that bad boy up un my sights ASAP.

    Andrea: Thank you, I appreciate it.

    R

    ReplyDelete
  7. RP: Thank you, I believe I'll hang around awhile. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. Sounds wonderful! Ha. Was it only me - but the reference to dealing with the "inane and peckish" will help you take to the "nursing thing" - was quite amusing!!

    The NCLEX will be so easy for you. You probably won't even need to study...it's really an english comprehension test.....I would be willing to bet your average person off the street could write it and pass. I wrote it quite a few years after I became an RN (because I only wrote our canadian ones) and I was surprised at how easy it was. I wrote them just before the computer testing was brought in.....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)