Friday, December 10, 2010

Two Years Ago Today...

...the heavens opened and sent us a little devil of an angel. (Probably they were relieved to get him out of the big house before anything else got broken.)

I remember that my wife started contracting about 11 am, but we thought she was just having Braxton-Hicks-ish contractions. They kept up all afternoon, and by the time we headed to Target that evening around 6, she was having to concentrate on them as they passed. At that point we realized probably this was for real, but thought we had hours and hours to go. She sent me off to Baby's-R-Us to buy a piece of furniture with a 20% off coupon that was about to expire, and when I got home at 8:30, she let me know she just couldn't take it anymore. The contractions were becoming painful.

Reluctantly we decided we'd head to the hospital after calling some friends over to watch the other kids. We were both sure that the longer we were at the hospital before delivery, the more likely we'd end up with an intervention filled birth--exactly what we didn't want. We left about 9:30 pm, and when we got to the L&D unit about 10, it was a madhouse. I don't remember if there was a full moon, but that's the type of night they were having. When someone finally triaged us, I'm sure it was probably the 8 or 10th person she'd assessed, and she was a little bit cranky.

When the nurse assessed my wife's cervix, we were sure she'd be dilated to a 2 or so, and we'd have hours of waiting. Surprise, she was a 6 on the conservative side, probably further along than that judging from the look on the nurse's face and the speed with which we got a room. She got a line in (second try after blowing the garden hose in my wife's hand--sucks to put IV's in on a nurse, haha!) and started LR. The nurse trundled off to call our midwife. My wife was starting to panic, completely sure she wouldn't be able to bear the pain, and requested an epidural. Of course until the liter of LR bolused in, there would be no epidural.

And then her water broke.

Not that it mattered, there was no CRNA or anesthesiologist anywhere to be found--they were just as far in the weeds as the nurses.

It was less than an hour later that my wife told the nurse it was time to start pushing. The nurse asked that she wait for the midwife, to which my wife sweetly and politely replied that it was time to push, NOW.

The nurse checked her, and judging from the way she bolted to the door and bellowed for the midwife, my son must have been at about a +4 station. The midwife showed up within minutes and asked my wife to take a test push. Since he was crowning, they decided she was ready to push after all.

One push, and his head was delivered.

One more push, and his long body came splooshing after.

And in that moment, 11:20 pm, the world beyond the walls of that room ceased to exist. His small squishy, wrinkly form, that I had longed to see for 38 long weeks was right before me. That tiny little heart beating as fast as it could just to pump my overwhelming love through his veins pulsed under my fingertips as I touched his chest for the first time. The roaring in my ears had to have been the sound of my soul stretching and expanding exponentially to accommodate another being for which my love is boundless.

My beautiful wife was exhausted and had pretty extensive tearing from delivering him so quickly. The midwife was repairing her perineum, so I was standing guard over my son at the warmer while they assessed him.

8 lbs 13 oz, 21.5" long. And all boy.

Counting toes:


Three months:


Six months:


One year:


20 months:


The family:


Happy birthday son.

I love you.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet post! Love the "I Love You Son" at the end!You can really see how his eyes are the same the entire time!! How cute is HE! and the girls are also darling!
    ***

    But, it never ceases to amaze me as an L&D RN how an RN can say "Don't push-wait for the midwife"...I can honestly say, I have never said that. I have maybe said: "Small little pushes, and breathe to oxygenate" but never a "don't push". And really, she probably didn't need an IV if it went as fast as it did - most normal moms ready to deliver don't get locks anymore here...!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable! Little boys are great. I have a baby boy and 2 older girls as well! Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where do you come up with this: "That tiny little heart beating as fast as it could just to pump my overwhelming love through his veins pulsed under my fingertips as I touched his chest for the first time. The roaring in my ears had to have been the sound of my soul stretching and expanding exponentially to accommodate another being for which my love is boundless."
    Sheer amazing writing once again. Are you sure you're not a professional writer?? Very beautiful declaration of love for your son! Happy Birthday to him!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CC: Yeah things happened so quickly our birth plan essentially got ignored. I stood by to make sure nothing *really* stupid happened. I am positive the nurses at that hospital are strictly instructed *not* to be catching babies. I'm sure she recognized his arrival was imminent.

    RNR: Yep, the boy totally has all of us wrapped around his finger. He just has to give us his slow smile.

    Zazzy: Thank you! That's a great compliment. Sometimes it flows. I can't imagine that I won't write a novel or two some day.

    Diana: Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aww he is so cute! And your daughters are so pretty!
    Happy Birthday to your son!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess, yep he's a little heart breaker. My girls are blessed that I didn't contribute my ugly side, Haha!

    RW: mine too! Daily!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous boy!

    My son have changed my life and made me a much better nurse I feel.

    Love seeing the pictures, makes your writing so much more relatable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aww, you finally got your boy it seems. My 1st two were boys, then I got my girl last. Congrats on your adorable family.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)