Friday, December 17, 2010

Sigma Theta Tau Induction

The whole Graduation-Season-Gala-Extravaganza-Event was kicked off on Wednesday evening with my Sigma Theta Tau Induction ceremony. Yet again a masterpiece of misinformation and lack of communication. We were told the event started at 1630, only to arrive and discover it actually started at 1700 and was running behind, so more like 1730. We had left the kids unfed at home with my parents and sister (who had just arrived in town a couple hours before), because we were sure we'd be home by 1800 or 1830 in time to get them their dinner. Some hurried instructions by text and the kids were provided for so my parents and sister didn't have to deal with hungry-cranky kids.

The ceremony was nice. It was even more nice to see my friends from school that I hadn't seen in awhile because of Capstone. And especially nice to hear that one of my best friends and study partners got a job on the same unit as me at Gargantuan Hospital. I'm so very grateful to be going through the critical care internship and orientation with an already established friend and study partner. I have to say I'm much more confident going into this with my tried and true study crew. (She's the one standing next to me in the picture there on the right.)

When it came time to be "corded" various members of the faculty were rotating through, cording each of us after we were handed our membership packet. When it was my turn, who should be the next faculty in line? The only faculty member I've gone to the Dean about because she physically threatened me when I questioned a quiz question in class, and then later kicked me out of her office when I tried to reconcile the situation during office hours.

Nice.

She just hung back, refusing to cord me. So a really awkward situation resulted, and I ended up being corded by someone I've never taken a class from.

Whatever.

Interesting to note, my wife immediately recognized this faculty member from her own days as a student at our CON. My wife received clinical excellence awards for every clinical she was a part of...except for the one led by this faculty member. She was the only faculty member that my wife (the most ultimate get-alonger ever!) had an issue with her entire nursing school experience. So it runs in the family apparently. Her class called this faculty member "The Wicked Witch of the __________" (Fill in whatever direction you're facing at the time).

It was a very nice ceremony though, and I appreciate the honor.

(Although the keynote speaker mentioned that Sigma Theta Tau was like the Ya-Ya Sisterhood of nursing--yay me!)

8 comments:

  1. How awfully awkward for you indeed as the cord is suppose to be hung around your neck and then nada! What a rip off, well at least you did get corded. Congrats to you and I hope you have fun with the other sisters in nursing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!! Nice photo too!

    Did my old instructor from 30 years ago migrate to your university??? Sounds familiar.......
    I guess there are always those instructors working, unfortunately. It's just unfortunate that they are allowed to continue working even after problems are identified - and I am sure it was more than just you and your wife that had problems with her.

    I would just take it all as a compliment. She's intimidated...and she doesn't have the social skills to get over it. I would almost feel sorry for someone like that except I just couldn't be bothered with expending that emotion either...

    Have fun in your new job! It will be nice to get those paycheques!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess: Thanks, this will be you soon!

    Sean: Thanks man, it feels good!

    RNR: Thank you very much!

    Zazzy: Wazzup sista?

    CC: It was stupid and awkward, much like her class. The dean was unsurprised when I came to see her.

    ReplyDelete
  4. XY:

    Too funny! Reminds me of one or two of my nursing instructors. Never made it to STTI in undergrad, but have since made it as a grad student. So glad though.

    And the Ya-Ya comment...they wonder why men don't want to become nurses...ugh! All I have to say is "Duh!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations, I'm just catching up on my RSS feed and finally got to this post. Also, great pictures, I happened to notice you got the new membership package, you should really check out page that says Solutions at the top and has the heading "What will your future look like?".

    Welcome to the sisterhood *cough* I mean honour society.

    All the best,
    Rob

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)