Saturday, January 1, 2011

The Rhythm of Life

Today my younger daughter asked me for a bowl of cereal, and since cinnamon Life cereal is one of her favorite things in life, I obliged. As I ambled into the kitchen she trailed along behind me, her feet padding double time on the tile as we went. First I pulled down a bowl from the cupboards, then the cereal from the pantry, and finally the rice milk from the refrigerator. As I moved around the kitchen, my daughter twirled and danced around me, her hair flipping out from her spinning, her arms and hands curving gracefully so that her fingertips just grazed the hem of her skirt. As I moved from one part of the kitchen to the next, her dancing motion was in perfect synchrony with my purposeful movements. Her tiny feet carried her around me, like a small moon around its parent planet.

I was struck by the beauty of the moment. The simplicity and the wholeness. The dance like quality.

It's a wonderful thing to be afforded these glimpses of knowing beyond the shadow of a doubt that there is no other time and space in which you belong more than this very moment.

Happy New Year.

7 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture that you paint. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So then.... you're going on your trip, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are definitely moments to live for. Wonderful that you recognized it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMDG: Indeed. We're all a little shaky yet, but no longer on death's doorstep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. so sweet. love your words.
    i live for moments like that. :)
    hope all is well! happy 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write beautifully.
    I was going to make that comment sound all poetic... but then I didn't

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)