Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Still Here

Well, the sun keeps on coming up, and so here I am.

Regarding my last post, thank you to all with supportive comments for my wife and I, they are appreciated. For those that were weirded out by the awkwardness, I don't blame you--in fact, I'm right there with you.

We've settled into somewhat of a working functional relationship by necessity. Family is in town to visit and we hosted small group at our house last night. Common goals and busyness makes it easier to avoid the real issues at hand. It's clear that we have a lot to work on. And there's time, seeing how out of pure practicality I couldn't establish a place of my own until I graduate and get a job that pays a living wage. Yes, I am incapable of financially supporting even myself at this point.

In other news we moved to the Week 3 workout of the C25K program yesterday. I was nervous since 3 minutes is twice as long as we've run at once before, and the running sessions were still winding me previously. I know how ridiculous that must sound, but 3 minutes is a long time to run for someone who's let themselves go as badly as I have. The good news is, the 3 minute sessions went extremely well and I was impressed with myself.

Right up until I managed to hit the STOP button on the treadmill. I hate that. It's so annoying. Everything just stops, and it takes a minimum of 30 seconds to do the math, get the workout parameters all setup in the treadmill, and get rolling again. I have to imagine that's how a lot of women in this country feel occasionally.

"Wait, you're stopping? You're done? I was just getting to the good part!"

As much as I hate the premature workout termination, the parallel may actually explain why there's so much PMS in this world...

I still have some nagging injuries, an ankle the hurts and swells with every workout, and a new hip-flexor pain that shows up at the end of my workout that makes it hard to even walk the cool down. But overall doing ok. Haven't weighed myself in a week--may get on the scale in a bit. I imagine we'll do Week 3 for two weeks also, Week 4 is a big step up.

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there. I'm rehabbing too and it's rough to recondition. Ow, ow, ow about sums it up.

    Just don't run yourself into an injury. My father is an over-enthusiastic exerciser and just ran himself into knee surgery.

    Be safe! :)

    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good on ya for taking up running! I'm soooooo jealous seeing that I STILL haven't been able to run. Yup, these stress fractures really have done a doozey on me. I'm hoping to start again sometime next month. Crossing fingers.

    I know 3 minutes feels like an eternity but let me assure you, it gets better....and easier. I promise. I remember running 2 minutes and thinking my lungs were on fire and I would very likely keel over and die right there. Fast forward to 2 months later and I was running, yes RUNNING for 60 minutes straight.
    You can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)