Thursday, June 10, 2010

One Foot in Front of the Other

Week 3 of running and still going. We're progressing more slowly through the program than scheduled, doing our best to stay healthy by only moving on when it's very clear we're ready. We did the Week 1 program for 2 weeks, and we'll probably do the same with the Week 2 workouts. I feel comfortable doing that since a large portion of our workouts actually happen on days where at least one of us has worked also. When the primary barrier to full on running is fitness level, working a busy 12 hour shift doesn't leave much left over for a running workout. So far we've run at least 3 times a week as prescribed, and completed every workout.

We are starting to feel a little beat up though. Both of us are dealing with knees and ankles that are bothering us. I think mine are more of a nagging nature than my wife's, but they're sore nonetheless. We went to the chiropractor on Tuesday, and are scheduled to go again today.

This morning we broke down and got properly fitted for running shoes. Proper shoes are clearly an important part of healthy running, but it can also be $$expensive$$. Especially if you wear a size 14 like I do. Lucky for me they still had my size in last seasons models so my $140 shoes were on clearance for $83, while my wife's size 8's were only available in this season's shoes of course. Hello full retail price. I got a pair of Brooks Trance 8's, and my wife got some Aisics.

Anyway the running seems to be going pretty well. I don't hate it. I did actually have a great run last week immediately after work where I felt some of the euphoria that people describe, so that was encouraging. Right now we're supposed to be running for 90 seconds and walking for 2 minutes in between for a total of 20 minutes. Yesterday I was able to add another run session at the end of my 20 minutes, and increase the speed to a slightly faster pace. We're not running terribly fast--we start each new workout plan at a 10 minute mile pace. As we progress through the workouts I increase my speed until I hit about a 9 minute mile pace. Not exactly gold medal pace, but I'll keep plugging along.

I'm reluctant to get on the scale based on my recent attempts to lose weight that always start with me losing a bit of weight and then rebounding to my start weight, even though I continue to work out and not change my calorie intake. Regardless I'm down 6 lbs over 3 weeks from 279 to 273.

I feel better though. And it's been no small victory to do my workouts, even on days that I work.

4 comments:

  1. Stay off the scale.
    The scale lies (recall that muscle weighs more than adipose)

    Find another measure, ie how do these pants fit?, and then only measure once every couple of weeks.

    Focusing on the plan will make the result happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what running plan is this? sounds interesting....

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)