Monday, June 14, 2010

Guilty Pleasure

One great way I've found to release some tension and make a lot of noise is to head to the gun range. I truly enjoy the mental aspects of long range shooting. To do it well one must clear the mind, control one's breathing, and even deliberately slow one's heartbeat. At 600+ meters, even the pulse of the subclavian/brachial arteries can be seen in the sight picture through the scope.



There is comfort in adhering to the rigid code of conduct around firearms. Safety is paramount, and a breach in form can be deadly. It's rewarding to reside within absolutes and to be so deliberate in one's actions. When I'm on the range I think of little else, but the task at hand.



I hand-built the rifle myself. I started with a Howa 1500 heavy barreled action, and dropped it into a Bell & Carlson Medalist Tactical vertical grip stock. I skim bedded the action with MarineTex to help with repeatability and accuracy. A Badger Ordnance 20MOA base and Burris Xtreme Tactical 35mm rings cradle the IOR 3-18x42mm FFP scope. A 3 color Rhodesian camo paint job dresses it all up.



Just thought I'd share. Any other shooters out there?

6 comments:

  1. It's been a while since I used a firearm. Last time was when I was in the Army. I will say that I always really enjoyed going to the shooting range. There was something really rewarding about being able to hit a target way the F out there.

    You're also right on with the breathing thing. It's a huge part of being a good marksman.

    Thanks for sharing your hobby. Whatever works to clear the mind, I always say. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nurse with a gun....and a Texan? Holy cow! I need to move! Does RNXX shoot too?

    ReplyDelete
  3. b.r.a.s.s breathe, relax, aim, sight, squeeze. man, i like you more and more every time i read you. my pops was a hella good target shooter, and once i start paying off this nursing education, i'll get more into it. even though i'm a horrible shot. you nailed the beauty of shooting dead on. i miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candice: It's a blast, you should get out there, I can't wait to read about your escapades at the gun range!

    Tiffany: She has shot, but doesn't regularly. And we Texans would welcome you. We're friendly. :)

    J: It's addicting that's for sure. One of my better friends is a tactical officer for a major metropolitan police department. He puts me to shame every time we're at the range.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE the gun range. I got my CHL a few months ago, but haven't gotten a gun yet. I'm all about getting the cart before the horse... I had some pics of my facebook from my first time shooting a gun - an AR15...good times!

    ReplyDelete
  6. GL: Fantastic example of what to do! Most people buy a gun, and have no idea how to use it. It would be a lot better if more people did what you did!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)