Friday, July 23, 2010

I Used To Be a Runner

Back in junior high and high school, I ran track. My events were middle distance--the 800m and the 1600m. I also ran the anchor leg of the Medley Relay, and occasionally the 3rd leg of the 4x400m Relay.

I never was a natural born runner. More like I was scrawny and farm-hardened. And stubborn. My times were respectable, but not record setting. My fastest mile was a 5:31, and my fastest 800 was a 2:02 split in the medley.

People that know me today probably have a hard time fathoming the person I used to be. When I say, "That was more than 100 lbs ago," they think I'm teasing or exaggerating. Neither of which is true. So I post this photo as proof--taken at the end of 10th grade. If you haven't recognized me, I'm standing in the back row (on the outside like usual) dressed in the gray shorts and gray tie.

Like I said, "I used to be a runner."

Now I'm more of a Clydesdale...

3 comments:

  1. A 2:02 800 WILL get you into the state meet in the 2nd biggest running state of the US.... We are happy if we beat 2:25.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't recall my best 800m race time. It was sub 2:15 though.

    The 2:02 was a split time in a relay-- different animal altogether. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are SO a runner. And rocking at it, mind you.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)