Friday, May 28, 2010

When Nurses Harm Their Patients

I've had to deal with this head on in a couple of situations over the last week.

Scenario 1:
(By word of mouth, but from a couple different sources that were highly corroborative.) Patient goes in to deliver baby, ends up heading to the OR for a C-section. Sometime after recovery, nurse draws up a dose of insulin, has a coworker cosign the dose, and administers it to the patient. The patient? Not a diabetic, and the wrong patient completely. The "dose"? 100 units, and the wrong dose. The patient's blood sugar? 3 mg/dl. Patient in a coma, nurses both fired.

Scenario 2: My patient at work. In for acute renal failure, 6.9 pH. Most likely septic shock--pressures 80s/50s while maxed on dobutamine, vasopressin, and norepinephrine, lactic acid over 13, anion gap 47, H&H was 7.2/24, zero bowel sounds, frank blood from the OG tube. Dead gut? Patient is vented. Past medical history reads like a patho textbook--100 year pack history, COPD, diabetes, CAD (s/p CABG), PAD, hypertension, hyperlipidemia, etc, etc. The patient was sick, sick, sick. Throughout my shift we'd managed to keep her stable enough. Minimal sedation, and minimal bucking of the vent--we were able to calm the patient by talking to her and repositioning. The night shift nurse comes on and receives report. Her first question is inquiring about what we've been using for sedation, and when she hears, "Nothing," she runs off muttering about how she wasn't going to have her patient bucking the vent all night.

Minutes later she comes back and says, "The patient has an order for propofol, I'm going to hang it."

My preceptor and I both freak out, saying, "With a pressure like that?"

She replies, "It's ok, I have pressors."

"But you're maxed out on all three of them!!"

I was actually planning on staying several more hours, but it wasn't very long before that nurse did indeed hang the propofol. I left, and went home.

I stopped in to work a couple days later and inquired about the patient. The patient coded and died that night. It seems her pressures bottomed out, and they couldn't get her back.


Scenario 1 just leaves me in awe. I hear she had to use two syringes to draw that dose--wouldn't that kind of trip the double-check-o-meter right there? And the nurse that "cosigned"? Oh my. I'm so going to be the un-cool nurse that demands to see the syringe and vial both when cosigning medications. I think that most people think that that procedure is in place to catch those newbie nurses with no experience that are bound to screw up. To me, those nurses aren't the ones to worry the most about. The really dangerous situations are when the nurse is experienced, and a level of trust has developed with coworkers. "I'm busy right now, but go ahead and give it and I'll cosign it later." And then some shift, just like any other shift, an experienced nurse makes a silly mistake and someone gets hurt, and the procedure has been worked around and failed. I believe the safety policies are most importantly in place to catch mistakes of that nature.

Scenario 2 frustrates me. The patient was clearly very sick, and quite probably was going to die. But I can't help but wonder if her death wasn't hastened on by the administration of a drug that is known to drop pressures, often precipitously. But what should one do when faced with such blatant disregard for critical thinking or patient safety? Who do you report things like that to? Do you report it? What happens when you have zero trust in the staff person you're handing a patient off to, or getting a patient from? How do you protect your patient and yourself in situations like that?

Any of you with more experience care to comment?

11 comments:

  1. (1)is clearly dumbass, and the nurses needs to be flogged. How many of the five rights were violated?? As a rule of thumb, any order of any insulin over 10 units I'm going back to the original physician order to check and even then I might call to verify, and I am not giving any insulin without knowing the blood sugar. And for drawing it up in two syringes???? Jeez.

    (2) Is also dumbass... nurses need to listen to each other while giving report. That being said, the patient was circling anyway, so who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey there! :) (btw, thanks for all your comments!)
    I just want to refer you back to one of my previous posts:
    http://callmenurse.blogspot.com/2010/05/sentinal-events-or-ades.html

    1. I agree, check and check and check...when I worked in NICU I would Double Check the med vial against what is drawn up in the syringe compared to the MD order sheet...and then against the patient band...and THEN and ONLY then would I cosign...Maintain the standard and never make exceptions, even with friends.
    2. I would tend to lean towards what torontoemerge said, however I am always reluctant to be as foolhardy and reckless as the RN in your example, even if they are one toe out the door.......my license is never worth a risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nurses scenario numero uno deserved to get flogged/fired, and nurse in scenario numero dos should also be flogged. i might have taken my concerns to the charge nurse. most of my charge nurses are great, and nobody is trying to kill anybody. was it incompetence, uncaring, or a decision that she/he (pt) was going out anyway? hmmmm......i wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man, some very scary stuff here.
    Agreed, it's not (only) the new grad RNs that are at risk to do these things, but the RN "with experience" who just gets in a routine.

    Sometimes it's just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww, I sure have enjoyed catching up on your posts. Congratulations on the award! I have been off this month and am due to begin school again Tuesday. This summer is public health.

    I'm sorry for these incidences. They put a foul taste in all our mouths. You have to wonder were they always bad nurses or did they stop caring? Worse yet are they really that incompetent?

    So sad for all concerned. The families who should be able to trust us, the nurses whose professional lives are over and the other nurses who must put up with this kind of bad example.

    You can and will make a difference. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to tell you, you inspired me in my latest post......Murder in the Hospital... ;)
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, I obviously won't be commenting on these scenarios with any kind of experience. but, I can say that I am glad that you are going to bring a level of unmatched integrity to this field! your patients will be lucky to have you.

    AND.....you are going to love the movie. katie will too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the comments all.

    It's quite nice to have the affirmation that my "nurse instincts" may actually be developing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my bffs is a nurse at a CICU in kansas city and she has vented her frustrations to me before about couple different situations *very* similar to #2. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 100 units of regular insulin? OMG! Now come on who would have thought that was a normal dose? Sheesh? I mean the most I have ever given of regular was 10 units. Lantus on the other hand I have given as much as 60u. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  11. XY-
    Here's an answer to scenario numero 2, and it may not be popular but its along the lines of checks and balances that failed in scenario number uno. You noticed the order for propofol and were obviously smart enough not to hang it considering her hypotension despite being maxed on 3 pressors, you easily could've called the doc, to D/C the order or at the very least give you parameters (propofol 10mcg/kg/min for light sedation, maintain SBP >90, map >65, for example). That's how you protect both yourself and your patient. Don't be afraid to speak up when you feel something isn't right!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)