Sunday, May 16, 2010

Finally, Fin, Finals

School is done, it's officially summer.

My OB class went very well, ended up with one of the highest A's I've gotten to date.

In Critical Care, I was cruising along in my normal grade range, 93ish, and only needed an 84 on the final to keep an A. It was a comprehensive final, and I actually spent a great deal of time studying for it, much more than I normally spend preparing for exams. When I sat down to take the exam I felt about as confident as I usually do, but then the unthinkable happened. I had a bad day.

A really bad day.

Bad day like reading an answer that clearly said "hypervolemia" as "hypovolemia", you know, the polar opposite. Just really, really boneheaded mistakes like that.

A lot of boneheaded mistakes.

I scored an 83 on the final, and ended up with an 89.83 in the class, which my friends is a B. No rounding of grades in the ###CON, the cards lay where they fall. So yes, in the class that I've been eagerly anticipating only my entire nursing school career, I came up 0.17 short. I have no explanation. Maybe some sort of exam-tile dysfunction, or premature exaculation if you will. Stupid. ONE exam question would have made the difference.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I went to see my professor about it on the off chance there was something anything that could be done. Did I mention she's retired military? You can guess how that went.

Way to fumble the 5 credit hour class...

My instructor felt horrible about it. She said she went over all my test scantrons from the entire course looking for stray marks or mis-marked questions. She hand calculated my grade to make sure I was getting the benefit of all possible decimal places.

She did say that she knows of two past students that are currently in CRNA school, and received B's in her class. She said as far as jobs are concerned, A or B doesn't matter so much. C matters, but not A or B.

But it matters to me.

2 comments:

  1. wooo hooo for summer break~

    Sorry to hear about the class.

    Glad you liked OB...it's awesome (then again I am biased :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dude. I feel your pain. One of my 2 Bs in nursing school (the other was OB, so good on you!) was in the most bullshit, easy, throwaway class ever- I ended up with an 89.7 because I missed the deadline by a few hours on a message board post on what kind of nurse I wanted to be. Seriously.
    The good thing is, once you start working, you will no longer care, because you have doo-doo and crazy people to worry about! Yay!?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)