Thursday, February 3, 2011

RN-BSN

It's official. I am licensed to practice in my state.

I postscripted my name with RN for the first time signing for anti-rejection meds from pharmacy. It was rather anti-climactic and the pharmacy tech didn't care.

A fitting end to one journey, and the beginning of another.

I'm loving my unit, the people I work with are top notch. Everyone is super smart and motivated. We've received our share of the crippling winter weather that grips much of the nation at the moment. When most of the city is flat shutting down, our unit is the only one in the entire 1000 bed hospital that hasn't had a call-in during the bad weather. That's a pretty good indicator of the level of commitment and the sense of duty my coworkers harbor.

I had my first patient family member give me a huge hug for the care I gave. It was a good feeling. The patient was a 46 year old CABG x5 jumps, who had never been sick a day of his life. His near heart attack was an earth shattering event for them. Judging from the way his wife clung to my neck as I was telling her goodbye after transferring them to our step down unit, I may have helped bring them some small measure of stability and hope.

Work has been exhausting due to the sheer volume of information to learn, and I haven't seen my family much because of the lengthy weather commutes. Overall though, it's been good.

19 comments:

  1. Such great news to hear about your becoming an official RN! I just read to my hubby about the pharm tech not caring of your writing your postscript. That is too funny, I totally can't wait to write RN after my name either but I won't just keep it to work related items, I'm thinking that I'll be signing my name on my grocery store credit transactions as Zazzy RN, and shoot I'll even sign on my Christmas cards as "Merry Christmas from Mr. and Mrs. Zazzy RN and kids" :-)
    Congrats to you and glad to hear that you're enjoying your time on your unit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! So happy for you!! HOORAY!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations. 46 CABG x 5 I better start eating healthier.

    If you ever book a ticket on Southwest they have a spot where you can pick initials referring to your profession. Like MD, PhD, Military service initials, but I was so happen because when I bought my ticket I could pick and it prints out on your ticket RN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sean has made my woot redundant. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on getting your license! I'm glad to hear everything is going well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of hard work, soul searching and sacrifice have finally brought you to where you always seemed to belong... you seem to have finally found your calling. WTG!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratz on your RN. Is that totally cool or what? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on the ending of the first part of your journey!

    I wanted to thank you for the wonderful blog posts. I just found your blog yesterday and I devoured every post from the beginning. I'm a male changing careers, currently taking nursing pre-reqs with goals to start a BSN program next fall.

    I've taken your blog as the inspiration to chronicle my own nursing school journey.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nighthawke--congrats on the start if your journey, best of luck to you!

    Thanks everyone, I'm a little bit proud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big congrats!!!

    Starting in such a high intensity place can be really exhausting as well as exhilarating. I remember not sleeping (or if I was sleeping it was fraught with 'work-mares') every night for my first 6 months in emergency.

    Take it easy on yourself and enjoy the ride. Congrats again, you have worked HELLA hard for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Con-friggen-gratulations!
    About time, hey?

    I distinctly remember taking out narcotics without a cosign after I wrote the dreaded licensing exam.

    Pour yourself a glass of something good. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A HUGE congrats to you my friend!

    I remember signing RN for the first real time, and yes, I remember sharing with someone near by who wasn't nearly as impressed as I was. But, boy, I was.

    I can honestly say that when I became a nurse I did not realize I would love being one for the reasons I do, but I am so glad I choose to be a part of this profession.

    Glad to have you with us.

    Thank you so much for sharing this accomplishment with us!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Drofen! I fail at congratulating you promptly. I am soooo proud of you! I demand a new post detailing your ICU life. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)