Friday, February 25, 2011

Honor, Truth, Trust

Truth be told, I probably shouldn't be writing this post right now as exhausted as I am.

But today was such an epic day, I feel like I can't let a night's sleep go by without documenting it lest the urgency and intensity of these newly learned lessons fade away like a groggily remembered dream upon waking.

Today I was stretched to my limit in regards to knowledge, ability, precognition, skills... Any and every aspect of being a nurse was tested today. These are the days that make the battle for a position on a badass unit in an amazing hospital totally worth it.

I started the day with one patient. A complicated, but stable patient. I then admitted the first heart case out of the OR. The surgeon doing the surgery is known for his speedy technique, often he's done with CABGs in less than 2 hours.

Today's case took 5.

The patient was a re-do, having had a CABG x4 15 years ago. Today he had a CABG x2 and an AVR. The patient came crashing into the unit a little before noon with a SBP in the 50s. The anesthesiologist dinked him to get me enough BP to get him hooked up and a cardiac index shot. We got him started on epi, dobutamine, and levo. He was still tubed and was on propofol and precedex to boot. His index was crazy. His output was 7.5L, his index was 3.5, but his stroke volume was 40.3 and his SVR was 457... Whacked out numbers.

Once I regained a human BP in the patient, I then set about lowering it. This particular surgeon likes his MAP to be 55-65. Yes I know that the kidneys aren't being perfused at that pressure, and lord knows he's been told that a hundred times, but he doesn't care about the kidneys. He just doesn't want his slapstick grafts to bleed.

But that's a post for another day...

So I started weaning the epi and the levo, and ramped up the propofol and started nitroglycerin to bring his pressure back down. I finally get the patient stable with a SBP in the 70s, but a MAP of 55 just as the surgeon would like.

And then the brown stuff hit the proverbial fan. His rate shot up to the 120s, he dumped 400 ml out of his mediastinals in 45 minutes, his CVP dropped like a rock, and he started having PVC's and small 8-10 beat runs of v-tach. I crammed in 1250 ml of albumin, 3 units PRBCs and 2 units of FFP, and his hematocrit came up two lousy points.

Mercifully, he pseudo-stabilized and I thought all was good again, until I treated a 4.0 K per physician ordered protocol, and suddenly he has a 30 beat run(?) of v-tach and his SBP falls to the 50s again. He earned himself 2 grams of mag, an amp of lidocaine, and a lidocaine drip. He also just about sent me into SVT myself. Sent off a K level out of curiosity, and a 40 meq treat bumped his K from 4.0 to 5.2, all the while his urine output was >100 ml an hour. Tell me how that math works out!

But that wasn't even the hard part of my day.

This man's family was amazing. Sweet, sweet people, and very, very worried. But the complete trust and faith they had in me was staggering. And the sense of responsibility that generated was unexpectedly profound. I've always had a strong sense of duty to the patient--I'm well-versed in advocating for those that aren't able to stand up for themselves. However, the burden of care I experienced today was new to me, and it caught me by surprise a bit.

It struck me that where there was once an empty bed, a quiet, unoccupied space, now it was filled with love, worry, and concern. It was such a transformative experience--it was palpable in the air. My biggest fear was that I was going to let this wonderful family down. I have never worked so hard to stabilize a patient to date in my nursing experience.

Meanwhile, I was also counseling and supporting the wife of my other patient as she made the difficult decision to direct her husband's care from the western curative model to one of palliative care and a dignified end of life. She too was super sweet and so, so vulnerable. Hundreds of miles away from home and completely alone, she needed a great deal of help. The palliative care team was coordinating withdrawal of care as I left for the night.

Any day that I can learn something is a day not wasted. Any day I can be stretched to my limits without breaking is a blessing.

Today was a good day.

6 comments:

  1. I am exhausted just reading about your day. No wonder I am near retirement! ;) Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know you just graduated and that sounds like a lot of work, are you precepting with someone right now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well blow me down and call me Sally, how on earth did you remember all that? Goodness, it all sounds so confusing but exciting! What a soft heart you have shown in your writing for these patients. So are you working 12 hour shifts, because I could see that being a long day?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. You really are going to be super nurse in a year or two if you can do all that already. I think it took about a year before I could titrate ONE drip without peeing my pants a little, let alone 3 or 4. And compassion to boot! I hope you know that you rule.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are pretty awesome here.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)