Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Gym Weeps For Me

Because I haven't been in over two weeks.

Lucky for me my weight has stayed stable, which is a small miracle considering my diet as of late. I can't believe how much time my job is taking from me. Right now I'm on dayshift for the purposes of orientation and the internship.

And it is absolutely killing me. I'm having to make choices like going to the gym or see my children.

I thought I'd have so much extra time when I started working. I mean, gone were the hours of studying for exams and writing up care plans of my nursing school days. I have a list of things I want to do.
  • Reading, other than text books.
  • Writing a novel.
  • Plant a garden.
  • Do some home improvement.
  • Learn to play guitar.
  • Learn to play the bagpipes.
  • Learn to paint.
  • Actively pursue getting my photography in more galleries.
  • Build a tent-top camping trailer to pull behind the Jeep.
  • Do some upgrades on the Jeep.
My new active lifestyle meant having time for:
  • Camping/Backpacking trips.
  • At least a 5K every month.
  • Starting to ride a road bike and swimming so I can do my first triathlon.
  • More travel: Scotland, Vancouver B.C., England, Germany, Austria.
Alas, it's not to be. At least not yet. Maybe it will ease when I come off orientation.

3 comments:

  1. You are not alone. I'm sure it will get better when your internship is over. Will you be on night shift?
    Love the bagpipes. One of the awesomest moments of my life was in NC walking my dog on the warm sand of a deserted, moonlit beach when bagpipes began to play in the distance. The wonderful sound accompanied me on my walk. I eventually found it was the eccentric old bagpiping uncle in a family staying in a beach house east of us. Maybe someday you can be the eccentric old uncle playing bagpipes on the beach :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha rnraquel I love it, can't you just imagine XY being the eccentric old uncle playing bagpipes. I'll never think of those things the same way again.

    Don't worry XY things are bound to get better right? And don't give up on those 5K's - you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vancouver, BC is pretty freakin' awesome.
    *wink*

    Take some time to just BE in this moment. Honestly, you're used to a go-go-go-go pace with school and work and family etc....so now just take a step back and breathe before you plow through your next feats. I see you are obviously a goal-oriented individual, but I'm wondering, are you truly taking in the fact that YOU JUST ACCOMPLISHED A PRETTY INCREDIBLE GOAL here?!?!?!

    Seriously.

    Have a beer. Or 6. And don't worry about the gym for a week. Relish in this moment.

    You've done good kid. You done good.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)