Monday, February 14, 2011

Precepted. But.

Everyone knows what makes or breaks an internship depends a great deal on how well an orientee and preceptor fit together. Some people need that warm fuzzy super supportive hand holder. Some people need the hard ass whip cracker to keep them on the straight and narrow. Some need constant supervision, while others are best left alone until questions arise.

Now admittedly, I'm a difficult case to match with the proper preceptor. I have a great deal of knowledge because of my background, and I've run across preceptor type people that get intimidated--they get hung up on that and fail to see my willingness to learn.

I want to know why we do things, so I tend to ask numerous questions. "Because the doctor wrote an order," and "We just always do it that way," are the bane of my existence. But I also want to learn how you do things, although I may quickly find my own way. I am a very kinesthetic learner, so to really own skills I need to actually do them, although I can reason my way through tasks intellectually. I'm capable of being quite flexible, but that can mean while I appear to be holding my own, I may not be getting what I need to learn or function best.

I'm not sure what the perfect preceptor for me would look like, but I'm pretty sure it's not the one that I've been assigned.

Unfortunately.

The hospital has set criteria for us to meet that count towards our yearly merit raises. The idea is that nurses who contribute back to the workplace take ownership of their workplace, and make it an all-around better place to work. These criteria include teaching projects, community service, leadership roles, and...precepting.

My preceptor has been banned from precepting females, apparently because he has a habit of making them cry. Although I suspect there was some chauvinistic behavior that didn't impress the ladies too much either, particularly since he's married. He's not much of a teacher, or a community service kind of guy. It pretty much leaves precepting for him to get his chance at the full 5% merit raise.

But.

That doesn't seem to take into account whether or not he really should be precepting.

He has all the tools. He's one of the most senior people on the unit, and at 8 years of service that gives you the idea of the turnover we experience. (We have 6 people leaving for CRNA school in August.) He is very knowledgeable. He is in a leadership position on the unit, working as a charge nurse.

But.

He has no people skills. He is sexist, and he constantly makes suggestive comments to and about the female staff members. He takes shortcuts--all the time. He laughs in the face of paperwork, often saying that if an issue can be resolved in the course of the shift, then the paperwork doesn't need to be filled out.

But.

Everyone puts up with it, and nothing gets done or said.

Fine, not my problem, right?

But.

Example #1: Second day on the floor, I'm given a new admit from the OR--a lung decortication secondary to aspergillus infection. Never taken care of a patient with that procedure done before, but she was vented and sedated with propofol, on a few pressors, on an insulin drip, and a fentanyl drip for analgesia--no big deal. My preceptor helped me get her settled, and then I went about managing her care--I was only supposed to have the one patient being my second day and all. About an hour later, he gets a patient from another floor--a trachea erosion secondary to radiation for esophageal cancer waiting for a tracheal stent. Pretty unstable patient actually. We get him settled in the bed next to my patient, and the two have our four bed pod to themselves. Things were clicking along just dandy.

But.

Then he disappeared, leaving me by myself with the two patients for the remaining half of shift.

When the oncoming shift comes in for report, come to find out the way my preceptor had told me to run the fentanyl drips (mcg/hr) is very much NOT acceptable on our unit--unbeknownst to me. It turns out we have a weight-based analgesia protocol in place (1-3/mcg/kg/hr for fentanyl). On the patient I was originally taking, what I was giving was actually less than the weight based formula minimum.

But.

On the tracheal stent dude I was running at 400 mcg/hr to keep him pain free. He weighed 110 kg, and simple math tells you that our weight based max dose of fentanyl is 330 mcg/hr...I was running 70 mcg/hr above our protocol max thanks to my preceptor's cowboy shenanigans.

If the patient had crashed, or become say, hypotensive, (like patients receiving fentanyl are prone to doing,) it would have been my ass hanging in the wind. My hospital has made it very, very clear that as long as we stay within the confines of the policies and procedures, they will back us 100%. Step outside the shadow of those protocols, and we've been told, in no uncertain terms, we're on our own.

I'm sure he'd have been in trouble too, his license in jeopardy, but frankly I don't give a shit what happens to him. He put MY license in jeopardy, and I've had the damn thing for less than a month.

13 comments:

  1. Feeling your pain, bro.

    Maybe it should have been titled 'precepted, butt..."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's terrifying. Can/will/might you ask for a new preceptor? Or is that asking for a political brouhaha on your new unit? Don't answer that, I already know the answer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feelin' your pain too. I actually left a hospital because the unit I had the misfortune of being hired onto has nurses who actively try to sabotage one another. Filed some serious reports on the way out the door, too. Probably will find it hard to find another job. But I still have a shiny clean license. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh. I hate to hear you having douchey preceptor issues. I know that game. Is there any way to talk to your education people about getting a new one without making it a totally hostile environment on your unit? Surely they know he is a problem if they can't let him precept females. My preceptor was a big fan of abandoning me and then writing me up for making mistakes, but at times I did work with people who were actually willing to help me and do her job for her- maybe look out for the younger, friendlier folks on your unit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. uber lame. dood needs his balls kicked in. makes you wonder what kind of dirt he has on his boss/bossess that keeps him around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sure you already know this but: DOCUMENT DOCUMENT DOCUMENT (on your own, at home, every example of this).

    I would talk to your unit manger about it. Mention that you are really concerned about learning bad habits and that you don't feel well supported (I'd poop myself if I was left hanging like that). It would look really bad on the hospital (not to mention on you) if the newbs lack of supervision resulted in a poor outcome.

    I am really sorry to hear you are going through this. Stay strong. Ask other nurses for their input maybe? Off the record...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next time you see your preceptor just take his head and ram it into your knee. Naww you better not do that, I agree with Albinoblackbear just keep documenting everything, even print off emails and keep records at home of all that is said and done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I second what ABB says...DOCUMENT. (write the whole thing down to keep the facts straight in your mind because I am sure the precepter will want to change the facts in his favor) I definitely would also talk to the Manager as she also says - you probably aren't the only one left in this situation and I am sure the hospital will want to know about it because they are also on the line for what their employees do. Thing is, if the situation is left as is with no f/u and the chart is later audited, there will be questions asked as to what was done about the situation....and you don't want to be caught with that either....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the good advice everyone.

    As expected it's a complicated and politically charged situation. My educator is aware, and knew it would be an issue from the start. I feel pretty trapped, but I only have 6 more weeks before I transition to nights.

    I am documenting what's going in, and communicating with my educator. And taking it one shift at a time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is all you can really do (in an attempt to not alienate yourself on your new unit). It is a tough situation. One of the things that drove me NUTS (both as a nurse and nurse manager) was that people were SOOO scared to come forward and put things in writing to CHANGE a situation. So good for you for being vocal and staying professional.

    Your educator knew it would be a problem but threw you under the bus anyway. Seniority can be a dangerous thing sometimes because people get away with the kind of behavior you're talking about. Really scary, especially considering the unit you are on. Yikes. Cowboys=BAD!!!

    I really hope things improve soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It sounds like an awful bind to be in and I don't envy your position at all.

    You have to look out for yourself and stick to your guns. I'm sure it's not easy, especially if things are... Political. But like you say, it's not forever and I think it can be these experiences that help define who we are. Or who we want to be.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh man, this is NOT OK! Glad you only have 6 more weeks and the back up of your educator!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just be careful. CYA and your license. Learn your hosp protocols pronto, and if necessary print out heavy drugs max/mins and how to set them up ie; mcg/kg/min, mg/hr, etc. per your hosp. You can't expect to every know all of them by heart, maybe a few, but not all of them. Again CYA and definitely don't trust this dude at all. Harsh, but true.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)