Thursday, July 7, 2011

Up In The Air

Life is up in the air right now.

I have no real focus, and I'm really unsure what direction to proceed.

My original plan was painfully simple. Go to nursing school. (Check.) Graduate and get a job on the biggest, baddest ICU around. (Check.) In two or three years apply for CRNA school and get on with life. (.....)

Muddying circumstance #1:

This lovely president of ours, Obama, enacted legislation that dictates those that make 10 years of payments on their federal student loans while working in a public service capacity, will have the remaining balance of their federal student loans forgiven. RN's definitely qualify as long as they work for a not-for-profit organization, which I currently do. Interesting tidbit: Nurse Practitioner's qualify, CRNA's do not. After doing the math, this loan forgiveness could total as much as $200,000 in my case... Market analysis of compensation for NPs shows that the gap between CRNAs and NPs is starting to narrow. In short NPs may soon be making the kind of salary reserved previously for CRNAs.

Now consider that the cost of the CRNA schools in my metro area both top $75,000, while NP school falls under the category of regular graduate school. CRNA students are prohibited from working during school (in fact both schools here will kick you out of the program, no questions asked, if they catch you working.) NP students at local schools do not have any such restrictions. And here's the kicker--the tuition reimbursement program at my current hospital *almost* covers the tuition for graduate school. They also have a TDA (Two Day Alternative) program where employees work Saturday-Sunday every week--two shifts, but keep full time status and benefits, and earn an extra differential that approximates working three shifts instead of two--that would allow me to go to school full time during the week.

The nursing school I graduated from has an Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program...

Thinks that make you go hmmm.

Muddying circumstance #2:

My wife and I have been fortunate enough to have her younger sister living with us to watch our kids while both of us work night shift. This allows us to work as many shifts together as possible, allowing us to have days off together. However, that situation will be changing. I'll spare you all the drama and gnashing of teeth, but rest assured it hasn't been a pleasant situation with frustrations ranging from not being available when we were counting on her, to wondering about our kids safety while in her care.

The nice thing about working as nurses is that we only work 3 days a week, so it *can* be done not needing childcare at all. But that means that we will only have one day a week off together, and really because of the logistics of night shift, it means that we'll have two half days off rather than a full day.

We are exploring options that include me moving to day shift to cut down on the daycare needs, but that also requires me transferring to another hospital within the system since my wife and I work on opposite ends of the city currently. And that means leaving my beloved CVICU...

Muddying circumstance #3:

I have been dying to get out of this town since I got here (state, really). The summer heat/humidity kills me. I crave seasons. I crave snow. I crave being able to spend time outdoors without melting into a puddle on the blistering concrete or triple digit asphalt.

I began researching grad schools in other parts of the country, and have been very, very attracted to Duke. I love the idea of a big name school. I love that the hospital is next door to the school. I love that the hospital has a program for employees that pays up to 90% of your schooling in exchange for contract on graduation... I love the idea of North Carolina, where the average high temperature in the summer tops out in the low 90s... I love that North Carolina is a Nurse Licensure Compact state... I love that Duke has one of the few Pediatric Acute Care Nurse Practitioner programs in the country...

Aauugggh! My brain hurts!

15 comments:

  1. My brain hurts listening to it all, so I don't envy your predicament. What does your wife think of the muddying circumstances?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't have any ideas about the child care situation.

    The acute care NP deadline for applying is probably sometime next spring so you two have time to decide. I would say just start applying to jobs and schools, you can always say yes or no later.
    I know here they wanted approximately 2 years of ICU or ED experience for acute care NP here, and the same amount of time working with kids for the Pediatric programs. You should be good experience wise on the adult side of applying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are seriously thinking about moving to NC, I suggest you come and visit RIGHT NOW. You really need to experience the full on heat and humidity we get here in the Piedmont. "I love the idea of North Carolina, where the average high temperature in the summer tops out in the low 90s." - may be technically true, but doesn't capture the humidity essence. Good luck with your decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you have some great choices. Not sure what to tell you about childcare, though when I read your post I was like, "YOU WORK THREE DAYS A WEEK??????" and my sympathy faded somewhat.

    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hang in there brother. Take it from me, CRNA school is not the end-all-be-all. Be sure to choose your path because it's how you see yourself in 10 years, not b/c of the money.
    Continuing on with school is not easy by any stretch of the imagination. I'm pullin' for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The foregiveness program sounds absolutely perfect for you. Nothing beats jettisoning all that debt. Especially for something you are going to do anyway.

    If heat and humidity is your Kryptonite, then you may want to reconsider the South. Here in central NC we do have 4 seasons, though spring and fall are becoming harder to recognize - lol. And mid-summer is always hot (usually more than low 90's) and very humid. Yesterday was a 'cool day' with a high of only 88 and 80% humidity.

    Of course the ocean is only 2+ hrs to the east and the mountains are only 2+ hours to the west. But who has time to go there :) LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in NC for quite some time and loved it. Are you in Florida? I am, so if you are in the same boat, feel free to email and we can commiserate. I have a wonderful friend who went through a Duke NP program.
    I do know that the CRNA's I know are very happy. I think with NP's it really depends on your specialty. The family practice and ER NP's I know are not the most content, but the ones practicing in surgery, orthopedics, cardiology, and oncology seem pretty fulfilled.
    Child care is so hard!!!! I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cathy: Excellent question. She's 100% on board with MC#1. MC#2 is just as frustrating for her, and required changes could affect the job she's held for nearly 10 years, same hospital, same unit, same shift. MC#3--she's coming around. She's lived in a 100 mile radius her entire life, and has 7 siblings, most of which are in the area. It's going to be hard for her to move.

    NPO: Yep, even staying here requires another year of experience for the ACNP program. The only downside to the apply and see strategy is that Duke's employee reimbursement program requires a year of service beforehand. Attendance there requires full commitment, up front, in the form of moving.

    CXI: Excellent point, and we are planning a trip in August. Believe me, we are no strangers to humidity, and even factoring in the heat indices, we average about 10* warmer here.

    OMDG: Haha, perhaps I should say we're only *required* to work 3 days.... And 3 12s can still take it out of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sean: Thanks for the support. I get that money isn't everything, but being responsible for a family changes your perspective. I have to weigh the liability I incur on my license versus the compensation, and balance all of that against job security and stability. Not because I want to, but because I have to. Turns out poverty is frowned upon when you have kids...Go figure.

    SAMTNS: Yeah, I've been watching your weather, hoping to get a real feel in August by taking a visit.

    RNR: No, not Florida, the other Bush state. Although, I'd be happy to commiserate with you. I know what you mean about specialty, not touching family practice or ED, hence the ACNP ambition...

    ReplyDelete
  10. NurseXY:

    I currently live and go to school in the area of the country you're talking about, and I absolutely love it.

    We don't get a ton of snow, but it's never more than an hour or so drive to get to some great skiing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You could always move to the NorthWest. It's a little humid but not anywhere near like the east.

    I like what NPO said. Throw your hat in more than one ring and say yea or nay later.

    Personally I would go for the NP program. It just seems a lot more interesting than anesthesiology and more daylight hours.

    I also work 3 days per wk FT. Love it.

    Would you ever consider moving to Canada? There is actually a shortage here and the Free Trade agreement between our 2 countries would allow it if there is a need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. NH: That sounds about perfect. Thanks for chiming in.

    CC: I've considered the NW actually. I've also considered Vancouver BC based on the recommendation of Running Wildly. The only downside to Vancouver would be losing the loan forgiveness program. I'd love to check out the Seattle area at some point as well, we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn. Since I last had an online life you've been kickin some serious life behind. I've read that CRNA's are in high demand in military installations and in OB/GYN practices, but maybe I misinterpreted...however, if that's the case, it could be a really smart way to go. And I'll go with Sean on this one...if you know it's what you want, rock it. If not, it won't be worth the money anyway.

    Duke does have a pretty sexy ring to it. And, that alumni network-holy sh**. I would imagine that given your family needs, and the realities of being in school...I dunno how that would feel. You seem to have a keen insight on the work-life balance thing, and I'm pretty sure that's what it'll come down to. That, and whether or not you want to go through the education meat-grinder again.

    Keep us updated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. OOoooooooor you could move to BC, Canada where we have some of the hugest awesomestest hospitals in the country. Just saying....

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm in the ABSN program at Duke... it's a great school, and most of the NP students I know are generally happy with their decision to be there. The faculty are amazing. There are several good hospitals around here so there are options for working during school (though salaries here are... not as competitive as I'd hoped). And yes, it's hellishly hot in NC too (I moved from FL hoping to escape it myself) but the worst of it only lasts from the end of July to about mid-September, instead of April through October. I've been quite pleased with the decision!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)