Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Different Kind Of Crazy

Amongst my least favorite patients to care for are those that have lost their noodle. Be it dementia, ICU psychosis, mental illness, it just wears me out having to deal with them.

I like logic. I like things to be orderly. I like it when people have been educated, and the information leads them to draw the conclusions I intend.

Crazy people don't do that. And that cuts across the grain of everything that makes my purplish haze of a world tolerable.

But I ran across a new kind of crazy this week at work.

This lady, (let's call her Eleanor), was 100% with it. She was completely lucid, she truly was that ever elusive A&Ox4. This is quite an achievement considering she'd come in for a valve replacement over a month ago and ended up with a CABGx5 and a balloon pump. Following her surgery, she rode our carepath upstairs only to come crashing back down as an RRT in respiratory stress.

It seems that the yahoo techs on our stepdown floor *still* cannot get it through their thick skulls that if a patient drinks too much water, with all the fluid shifts from being on pump, the patients drink themselves straight into pulmonary edema. Not to mention the atropine given pre-anesthesia makes *everyone* wickedly thirsty, for *days*. So when the techs get tired of answering call bells about drinks of water, they sure as heck will bring the patient a big huge pitcher of water and let them drink themselves into a gurglely, pink frothy mess.

So it was with Eleanor.

And she ended up re-intubated. Then extubated. Then re-intubated, and extubated yet again. If you've played this game before, you know that each subsequent re-intubation significantly reduces the chances of a favorable outcome. Counting her surgery, Eleanor is working on post-extubation #3. Even now after spending 8 hours each night on BiPAP, her PCO2 is routinely greater than 65 each morning.

She's also failed her swallow study 3 times now.

All this to say that Eleanor is *strictly* NPO.

She knows this.

And she knows why.

And she knows the consequences of noncompliance.

But this does not stop her from asking, begging, pleading, groveling for a drink of water as many times an hour as you are willing to entertain. She actively tries to deceive anyone who comes near her bed and trick them into giving her water. She tries to split staff and family members and play them off one another to manipulate them into giving her water.

Honestly I've been around better behaved toddlers. (Two of which happen to live with me.)

Really I'm at a loss to adequately convey the sheer, colossal, unbelievable stupidity of it all.

I performed impeccable oral care hourly to maintain her oral mucosa. But my reward for this above and beyond (unit policy and procedure is Q4)? Each swab is met with a greedy demand, "MORE!!" Upon refusal, she throws anything within reach on the floor in protest. Pillows. Blankets. Her Bairhugger nozzle. You wouldn't believe how low my bullshit tolerance for this kind of shenanigans is.

Maybe a better, more saintly nurse would have had the patience to deal with these outbursts. Me, with my curmudgeonly tendencies, simply didn't give the items back to her the second time they ended up on the floor. When she started immediately sucking the water out of each swab (nearly aspirating on that small amount of water each time) rather than letting me wet her mucosa, I promptly switched to using chlorhexidine gluconate instead. Funny, she was much less enthusiastic about her oral care after that.

On my second night taking care of her my frustration came to a head. My other patient, a fresh pericardial window was starting to act pretty sick. He was bradying down into the low 40s, and I had no pacing access other than transcutaneous pads on the crash cart. His pressure was dropping from 160's systolic on 5 mcg/kg/min of nipride, to a systolic of 90-100 with the nipride on standby.

In the middle of this, Eleanor started demanding water. Yelling, cussing, cajoling. Saying idiotic things like, "Just pour it on top of me, I don't even have to drink it. Just pour it all over me." When nobody was paying attention to her, and there were several of us in the room because of my other patient, she ripped her BiPAP mask off and threw it across the room.

I'd had enough, and as I was putting her mask back on, I kind of lost it on her.

"You need to *stop* this. You are a *grown woman*, you need to start acting like it. You are embarrassing yourself and your family by the way you are acting. My other patient is extremely sick right now, and instead of being able to help him like I should, I'm here, dealing with this foolishness."

In a poetic cinematic world, she would have realized how silly she was being, become remarkably compliant, if not apologetic. Then she would have written letter to the administration about the incredible life-saving care she received, highlighting each of the nurses she had.

In the real world, she pulled off the biggest 2-year-old pouty-lip I've ever seen.

But at least she was quiet.

5 comments:

  1. I am familiar with the NPO craziness.
    At least you got her to be quiet for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I'm reading this after a long day of babysitting and demented and just flat out rude 90 y/o. Cheers, my friend, you know a well-deserved drink is needed after days like this.
    From a fellow critical care nurse,
    K-Lynn, RN

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nurse XY, I like your style. Are you sure you don't want to be an ER nurse? I'm pretty sure you'd fit right in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whether grown adults or not, if folks act like toddlers then I will treat them like toddlers. Even just last night, my co-worker pulled out the best "mom voice" with my patient. It was gold...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When you write about "techs" does that refer to CNA's?
    I think you did the right thing. The most annoying part of my job is to constantly come running to a patient that is less critical than my critical patients and it's draining.
    Keep up the good work and only play the "tough guy" card when you absolutely need to.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)