Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I Just Don't Know

Lately I've been contemplating the direction I'd like to take this blog.

The longer this space exists, the chances of my true identity being unmasked grows, possibly exponentially. When I started this iteration of my blog, I had no idea that it would grow to be even as mildly popular as it has. I wasn't clear sighted enough to plan for that from the start. As a result this "anonymous" blog is hopelessly entangled with my "real" life.

For instance, the master email Blogger associates with this account happens to be my gmail account that I use for *everything*. Not a big deal because that email address isn't used anywhere except for me to sign in. Nicely compartmentalized I thought. Only when somebody sends me a Google+ invite, suddenly my Picasa account (with all my blog pictures) will be linked to my uber-Facebook experience. And suddenly my real name will be substituted where my nicely anonymous username had reigned. Blast it.

I can't say that it isn't tempting to exit the proverbial blogging closet, and just become a real person in both senses. But that would pretty much preclude any patient stories no matter how fabricated. And frankly, do I have enough important things to say regarding nursing that people will continue to visit without the sensationalism of my patient encounters?

Am I ready to give up the sanctity of my virtual repository to unload and get things off my chest?

I just don't know.

At some point I'd like to transition my writing to more mainstream outlets. Does an anonymous body of work allow for that?

"I'd send you examples of my writing...except I can't...you know patient privacy and all. I write real good though. I swear."

I just don't know.

7 comments:

  1. You can always remove your photo and change your email, right? I would really miss reading about your adventures if you stopped your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I am not blogging about current nursing on my blog and as a result, I don't get that many readers who go to nursing blogs for the sensational stories. That's what drives the popularity of most of the well-trafficked nursing/medical blogs out there.

    I have, however, created a whole different blog of my current experiences that are totally anon, but then, you start from scratch and don't have any of the readers migrating from the original blog. Conundrum for sure.

    There is no way to switch email addresses on a current blog unfortunately, because I have done the same thing as you and failed at the attempt. I won't be using Google+ as a result, -but then, I don't think I am missing anything in the process.

    I have also made all my Gmail albums "private" so there is no possibility of anyone seeing anything - unless I want them to. I can still send out links to specific people of photos I would like them to view.

    It's a risk to post patient's stories...no matter how much we anonymize them....there is a possibility in the cases that are most interesting - and therefore identifiable - could result in consequences that we wouldn't want.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (ok, a lot of us actually like to read nursing blogs for learning value too... :)... not just the sensationalism!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WHAT THE HELL XY! I agree with CC, just say screw it to Google+ It's not going to catch on like they think it will and then you'll have quit a great "Dekker" writing style blog for nothing. I think the right choice is clear, but I'm not you. Make sure you pray about it before you make your choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just from reading your intro everybody knows your face, that you work in the cardiac ICU in a 1000 bed hospital in Texas. Probably only a couple of those in your state.

    Maybe try a new blog at WordPress to write mainstream and see how it goes. Write for yourself and then see if you like doing that.

    Truthfully I think you can write as yourself here, because I have a feeling in the not to distant future things will change. You have already hinted at NP school and showed doubts about the status quo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeahhhhhh. I remember that feelin'. I was anonymous the first 2 years of my bloggin days..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know what you mean. I really like your blog though... I'm coming back irregularily but always enjoy reading a lot.

    Do whatever feels right to you, privatize critical entries if you have to or change to a blogging platform where you readers have to log in to read "friends" entries or something similar.

    Also, isn't there a way to add another email address as co-moderator, transfer admin rights and remove your current master address (making the system think you gave the blog to another person?) I think some platforms allow that, but I don't use blogger and have no clue if that works here...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)