Friday, August 27, 2010

Applying for Graduation

Today I applied for graduation.

It was a simple online form on the registrar's website with little fuss. There was no trumpet fanfare or chorus of angels breaking into song. At least not that I heard. Most of the form was auto-populated from my records, but there was one question that made me pause.

"Are there any special circumstances we should consider in evaluating your application for graduation?"

Innocent enough question I suppose. Probably it was meant for those who had some major event that interrupted their schooling or challenging substandard grades.

Why do I deserve to graduate? What special circumstances do I ask to be considered for that special honor?

Is it because I went to class, listened to lectures, regurgitated the information in some sort of highly concentrated factually dense exam vomit? Because I paid my exorbitant tuition, wore my geeky uniform complete with iron on shoulder patches?

No.

It's the people, the patients. Aside from education, no other course of study is so deeply entwined in the lives of outside people. Psychology makes a valiant effort, but falls short. Do I dare say even medicine is found wanting?

But I do know this: there is no way I can condense my experiences into a 300 character text box on a stupid administrative form. How could mere keystrokes do justice to the anguish and despair on a father's face while he watches his 17 year old son slipping away. What spell-checked phrases could relay the gratitude of the Pakistani man. All I did was protect his dignity while getting him cleaned up, and take a few moments to talk with him. He'd only moved from the old country a few short years ago, and yet he had the words to say, "May God bless you. May God bless your children." No special font could adequately describe the moments when the last flicker of life fades from the eyes of someone starting their next great adventure.

So why do I deserve to graduate?

Because I've earned it.

Not in a "check the boxes" kind of way, but in a visceral, poignant, and experiential way.

So, apply for graduation?

Oh you can bet your ass I did.

4 comments:

  1. Congrats man.
    I am currently a sophomore in college and have been considering to transfer to a local nursing college.
    From what I read from your blogs and links that you posted, I am sure that nursing fits me pretty well.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. THIS is why I think you'll make a great nurse.
    Applauding you today.....graduate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How cool is that? Each semester I log into my school's website I see the button that says "apply to graduate" and I gotta say that I envy the ability for you to be able to press that button. I can only dream of the time that I'll be saying the same thing. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)