Thursday, April 22, 2010

Nursing Self-Dx

Overwhelming anxiety r/t waiting to hear about a pediatric summer externship program AEB short temper, excessive flatulence, and clumps of hair falling out.

They SAID they'd make a decision on April 15. They SAID if we got into the program we'd find out the 3rd week in April. They SAID if we weren't selected we'd get the obligatory up yours courtesy email by the end of the month.

It's definitely past April 15th. And we're almost done with the 3rd week of April. And the end of the month is approaching with all the delicacy and grace of a speeding 18-wheeler...

My phone simply refuses to ring. Every text message that vibrates sends me scrambling for my phone. I've nearly caused 2 wrecks on the highway trying to get the damn thing out of my pocket.

Don't think I haven't been obsessively checking for celebratory announcements on the Facebook pages of people I know who have also applied for the program.

This program is such a huge stepping stone, I can't even begin to explain. This is THE hospital I want to work in, and this is my chance to impress the unit I want to work on, the staff and managers. It's practically the only way to get hired into this fabulous hospital as a graduate nurse. Especially to the unit I want to work on.

The wait is literally giving me an ulcer.

3 comments:

  1. Well good luck and don't get your pantie hose tied in a knot. Just think about all your instructors naked.....
    Oh wait, that's the wrong advice for the wrong thing.

    So glad you're blogging again. Thoroughly enjoyed each of your posts.

    Pepto-B for the gastric irritation until you find your answer. Either that or drown your sorrows in wine. I'm fine with both options.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, the externship seemed pretty much the only ticket into my hospital if you were brand new. Definitely the best way to get into a specific unit, anyway.

    Have you called? They went way past the deadline when they decided on us. I had emailed and emailed but finally I called and the lady sounded surprised and asked if I could come in the next day to interview. I think I'd still be in limbo if I hadn't called.

    I'm assuming since it's an externship, in other words they're giving you experience and paying you for it, it's not high on anybody's priorities?

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)