Monday, April 26, 2010

Disappointed

Things aren't looking good for getting into the pediatric externship. I was told that they take 2 applicants from each school, and 2 of my classmates have gotten phone calls. I called this morning and was told that there are only a few spots that haven't been offered yet, and that they were hoping to offer those to people out of the area. But she said she'd look at my file again.

I'm a little confused. I had a really great interview. I was told, "We really like our male externs, the patients respond really well to the males. We're extremely interested in you, so if you get an offer from another hospital before you hear from us, please give me a call before you accept, here's my direct number."

Of course, thinking about it now, the HR people aren't who make the final decisions anyway, so I imagine her words didn't hold as much water as I was hoping.

Everything seemed to be pointing that I was headed down the right path--the positive interview, an unsolicited yet amazing letter of recommendation from my pedi instructor.

I do know that the two girls from my school that got the externship both know someone there, so I'm sure that certainly didn't hurt their chances. I think it really does come down to relationships in the end, and I guess I just didn't have the right relationships in place.

This is a pretty major setback to my PICU dream--there's only two pediatric hospitals in town, my wife works in the PICU at one eliminating it from my choices, and I just got rejected by the other. It doesn't look good.

I guess I'm going to have to find a way to be ok with that.

7 comments:

  1. Bummer. I have learned through my years in the corporate world that it isn't what you know but who you know. Sucks. I wish you luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you would be an amazing PICU RN. I hope that your dream comes true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You never know... maybe you will get it.

    My daughter had a male nurse when she had her hip problem and she adored him. Male ped. nurses are great! Don't give up your dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain. I didn't get the externship in the NICU (my dream) I applied for either--my schedule just wasn't flexible enough. It doesn't help that our program is year-round so I'd have to work externing around work, class, AND clinical. But don't worry, one way/externship or another, we'll get there! And good luck with your OB exam!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think hospitals need to revisit that rule about not hiring relatives in the same hospital/unit. I am sorry but there are MANY occupations including MDs and Pharmacists that allow relatives to work together. I have even worked in a hospital that allows it with RNs here in Canada- a mother daughter duo - both L&D RNs that worked the same unit. Are we not professionals? Are we less reliable than an MD or pharmacist or banker?????? Why is it that the nursing occupation is singled out? As far as I could tell there was NO problem with the mother/daughter RNs that I worked with.... I think it is degrading and disrespectful of our profession to single us out in this way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A NURSE-- I hadn't thought of it quite like that. Gah.

    In all honesty, of the two pedi hospitals, I'd choose the one where my wife works any day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)