Friday, April 29, 2011

Brought To You By The Letter, "Oh $#1T!"

I learned something new last night.

You know what sounds like rain gently thrumming on the soft top of a Jeep?

Well, it turns out that blood spurting and spattering onto acoustic ceiling tiles makes almost exactly the same sound. Eerie really.

And that folks, is what happens when a patient pulls his IABP out of his femoral artery.

I learned something else last night too.

You know what sounds like a dropping a watermelon on concrete?

Well, it turns out that a fainting coworker's head smacking the floor sounds remarkably similar.

And that folks, is what happens when your pod partner faints when she sees blood spurting from her patients femoral artery after he pulls out his IABP.

Lucky for me I was already gloved up about to draw labs on one of my patients when I heard the aforementioned, very liquid sound followed closely by the monitor and IABP machine alarming. The other aforementioned sound rounded out the trio.

On a dead sprint to the other side of the room I managed to scatter the bucket of bed bath supplies for the sake of grabbing a towel, all the while yelling my head off for help.

The patient, all 6'5", 148kg of straight-up-pissed-off was thrashing around in the bed. He was intubated, and supposedly sedated on 60 mcg/kg/min of propofol (which is a 100 ml bottle every 90 minutes!). He apparently took exception to, well, hemostasis I guess.

I clamped the towel down on his fem site, then got control of his right wrist and pinned it to the bed. Next I stuck the elbow of my arm holding pressure deep into his quad and got him to straighten his leg. Lucky for me his other arm got tangled up in his vent circuit and I was able to should block his other knee or there's a good possibility I'd be wearing a black eye today, or worse.

By this time help was arriving, the crash cart got yanked open, the patient is in v-tach (as best we could tell), and was being restrained forcibly by 3 other people. The CRNA on call rolls in (their sleeping rooms are right outside our unit). He takes one look, calls for a vial of vecuronium and paralyzes the patient on the spot. The secretary is running for blood and a rapid infuser from the trauma ICU, there's a saline bolus running in wide open. Somebody shoots an index, it's like 0.9, but the dude somehow still has a pulse. His pressure is in the toilet, and although he converts out of v-tach with some epi, he still has ectopy all over the place. Someone was nice enough to set up a c-clamp because my arms are burning from holding that much pressure on the site (I may or may not have been trying to single handedly push his hip through the bed.)

Meanwhile a code purple has been called for my coworker and she gets C-collared and whisked off to CT on the way to the ED.

There was eleventy-billion people in the room, including family from the other 3 patients in the pod. They couldn't get out because there were so many people attending to the patient and my coworker. It was more chaotic than any code I've been to yet.

Surgeon arrives on unit, and he's pissed. He wants somebody's head on a platter, and since my co-worker cracked hers on the floor, I'm next in line. He literally wants someone fired. My night charge nurse steps up to the plate, and sets the surgeon straight--for which I'm truly, truly grateful.

"That nurse and his quick thinking is the very reason your patient is still alive!"

We did, in fact, get the patient stabilized. He's only slightly more sick than he was before the incident, and that is a very lucky thing. It could have easily been much worse.

I'm sure there will be all kinds of legal shenanigans and ass-covering in the days to come, but it was enough for one night.

In fact, I hope I never see that again!

11 comments:

  1. Wow, thats crazy! Crazy experience man. Hope everyone turns out all right

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! You are amazing! Props for quick thinking and strong muscles. Is your co-worker OK?

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG I was just talkng to someone about a pt pulling out an IABP. Good job getting him down and getting pressure on the artery. Freaky!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job, that kind of adrenaline rush is something you won't forget for a long-time. You will try to explain to your non-nursing friends, but they won't appreciate the full extent of what you went through.

    Funny the contrast from reading your post from last week and then today.
    Nursing is like that, calm to crazy and back again.
    I love my co-workers, I hate my co-workers and back again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow..."That nurse and his quick thinking is the very reason your patient is still alive!"...just wow!
    So was there blood all over you and your shoes? Did the nurse that hit the floor get blood all over her too?
    Wow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jr: When work called tonight asking me to come work extra, I asked about the patient--he's actually doing pretty well. Weaning the vent on him in fact.

    Red: Thank you, that's a great compliment! She's doing fine--not sure if her pride or the goose-egg on her head hurts worse. She's not a bad nurse, she hadn't eaten because she's trying to get bikini-ized for a Mexico trip coming up.

    RNR: That is too weird. Haha, I feel a little like the little Dutch kid that stuck his finger in the dike. Thanks though!

    NPO: Oh yeah, I was buzzing and shaky for the rest of the shift, haha! Yeah, the contrast between the posts struck me too. Makes me wonder if I wasn't being just a little melodramatic. Oh who am I kidding, of course I was.

    Zazzy: That's the crazy thing, I didn't get bloody at all! Isn't that nuts?! I rushed in on the side he was leaning away from. The unlucky few on the other side of the bed got dripped on from the ceiling a few times though, ewww. The fainting co-worker was coming around the foot of her other bed when she went down, well away from the patient--thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incredible. I can only hope I learn how to think on my feet as well as you.

    This story scared me, but in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well done. Yes indeed. That is emergency nursing coming out of you. I know it seems like you're only doing one small piece to the puzzle, but it was a huge one. Wicked awesome. High five, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  9. kudos....me's thinking was this guy not restrained?, and if not, he shulda been. I had this "almost" occur to me just last week. Tho I had an EKOS machine that was part of the fem shunt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. That is insane. I'm glad the charge nurse put that Dr in his place. You were awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tine: Yeah, it scared me too. One of my preceptors in the internship said to me several times, "Always remember this unit is dangerous. Just when you get it figured out, you'll have a day where you're humbled. Never forget how dangerous our patients are."

    RW: LOL, do I detect a recruitment? I admire what you ED nurses do, and I'd totally be there, but... It's all the snotty noses and whinybutts you have to wade through to get a really sick patient. At least with critical care for the most part they're ALL sick.

    RP: Nope, not restrained. He'd been totally snowed up to that point, and just kind of came to life. Our hospital is big, big, big on not using restraints unless really, really necessary. Some Joint Commission thing or another.

    IJM: Yep, that charge nurse is awesome. He's actually one of the night supervisors. When us new interns came to nights he sat us down and told us that as long as we communicate to him what's going on and we stay on the straight and narrow with him, he'll go to the mattresses for us. Nice really, knowing someone's going to have my back.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)