Thursday, March 10, 2011

On Mountains, Valleys, & Beasts

One of the foremost lessons I've learned in my internship is that our unit is like a live, wild animal.

It breathes. It eats. It's reactive.

And if you're not careful, it will bite you.

Just when I think I've gotten a handle on it, something comes along and takes my legs back out from under me, leaving me on my knees.

And so it goes--I have huge mountaintop experiences where I've safely admitted extremely unstable and complicated patients. It is such a rush when you're literally managing a hemodynamically unstable patient's life on a minute by minute basis through the titration of 4 or 5 different vasoactive drips. It's cathartic. And it's easy to see how god-complexes develop in physicians because it's addicting. It feels oh-so-good when you're doing it the right way and your patient lives. The rush whispers in your ears, seducing you with it's siren words of success. I've had 3 such admits so far, and I only look forward to more.

But there are the valleys too. Like when a simple case comes back, and suddenly I'm paralyzed because nothing is as it should be. There's no index to shoot, there's no cordis, but I've got two art-lines, and I don't know why. The patient is a 31 year old mother of 3 that discovered she had a ASD when she had a TIA at home taking care of her kids. A simple septal defect repair done through the femoral artery--it completely blew my mind and I imploded. I simply couldn't think of what I needed to do next. So humiliating, and unbelievably frustrating.

I just have to keep getting up and going back to work. It may not get any easier, but I know I'll be better for it in the end. And I can tell I'm becoming a stronger nurse each passing shift.

And that my friends, is even more cathartic, and more addicting.

The thirst for knowledge and experience is almost unbearable at times. My skin prickles from the sheer volume of electrical activity required to lay down the new neuronal pathways. It's like a drug. And it's not always a therapeutic dose. Often it's a back-alley, Bic-lighter-and-rusty-metal-spoon black-tar of a rush.

The knowledge also lives and is animate, I swear. I can feel its hot breath on my neck while I work and move among my patients. It lays in wait for the right moment to pounce on its unsuspecting prey, to remind me that I am not in control of it. Untameable. But when harnessed, lurches us forward at synergistic ability and speed...

And so I exist, abiding in the mist of the gray, no black or white in sight. Between scope of practice and patient need. Trying to bridle the knowledge just enough to battle the specter of the horrible beast that is the life-or-death illness that stalks the patients on my unit. All the while I'm holding on for dear life, only hoping to come out the other end of the shift having honored the needs of the patient and served their families in a way that I can be proud of.

And I love it.

Every.

Vicious.

Second.

10 comments:

  1. Keep gathering information and experiences; it will be lifelong in this field and a benefit to your future patients.

    From the aids to the doctors keep learning from your co-workers, and avoid the ones who think they know everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description kinda sounds like a Ted Dekker novel, scary and twisted.

    Don't let it get the best of you, and don't lose yourself within its beastly grip. Stay true to yourself.

    By the way are you still planning to go to CRNA School?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouraging words NPO.

    Zazzy- pretty much, yeah. There isn't really anywhere else to go work around here that would be a step up in acuity. So CRNA school it is. I will spend 2 or 3 years here, then school again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you are doing great. You will absorb so much information, like a sponge. You can learn from the MD's, the CNA's and everyone in between. I know sometimes the craziest stuff happens when you least expect it. Roll with it. You are going to be a phenomenal nurse. it sounds like you are pretty fantastic already :)
    Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Acuity is a step up huh?

    Well did you make it to your goal for the military to pay you to go to CRNA school yet, when is your deadline again? Have you been out running or entering any 5Ks or are you super busy on your new unit, learning all the "in's and out's"?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Raquel, I think you're a pretty great nurse too!

    Zazzy- To me there would have to be a step up in acuity to go elsewhere. That's what keeps me interested--I'd be bored otherwise. Maybe that will change someday.

    The military service would start when I get an entrance letter to a CRNA school. Not planning on selling my soul until it's a sure thing. ;)

    I've been taking a break from running during my internship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Holy crap. This post took my breath away. U r soooooooo an ice nurse. If u want a challenge.....a life and death challenge that u must make quick decisions, well try the trauma room. We have many nurses bounce back and forth between emerg and icy. Just a thought so that u don't get bored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RW: I briefly considered working on the trauma ICU at my hospital, but I heard from several different sources that trauma (although gory and adrenaline pumping) is actually kind of boring because you see the same mechanism of injury over and over again.

    Plus all the drama that goes with trauma isn't my cup of tea. You know, like when they bring in two GSW patients that were in a gang fight, and both rival gangs show up...

    At my hospital, depending on staffing needs, I can be floated to any of the ICUs. We have a CVICU (my home), a CICU (non-invasive cardiac ICU), trauma ICU, transplant ICU (livers and kidneys), surgical ICU, and neuro ICU. They are all 18-20 beds big. Thankfully, I cannot be floated to a medicine or surgical floor--my idea of personal hell...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, I've totally missed reading your posts. Your words really come alive when I'm reading them and I feel connected to what you're saying, what you're struggling with, what you're hoping to achieve. Your passion for knowledge is apparent in everything you write. Where you are addicted to the ICU experience, I'm addicted to written words that move me. And you, my friend, do that nearly every time I visit your blog. Thanks for feeding my addiction! ;)

    Oh and for the record, I can only pray that should I {or anyone I love} end up in the ICU that we'd have a nurse like you. Your patients are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Enjoy it!! Hopefully soon I will be done w/direct pt care.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)