Wednesday, March 30, 2011

As the Internship Wanes

It was a lifetime of 12 short weeks ago that I embarked on this critical care internship. I thought I knew what it would be like, and I was mostly right.

The fact that even in the interview they asked me if I was sure I "wanted to do this", again when they offered the position to me, and a third time when we were at the beginning illustrates the degree of difficulty. The neck snapping uptake onto this learning curve was akin to being rear-ended by an academic semi-truck on a towering bridge--not only do you have to survive the impact, you have to make sure you get propelled down the lane of traffic and not over the side of the bridge into the water. I've always prided myself in some small way on the amount of stuff in my brain; it's what I do, it's my thing. This, however, was the first time where my knowledge, or potential lack thereof, had actual life or death consequences. And I don't mean that in a hyberbolic, grandiose way. I mean that quite, quite literally. Often, if I were to screw up, there simply isn't time or physiologic reserve for the patient to recover.

This is singularly the most difficult thing I've ever done. So far beyond nursing school it's laughable. Easily more intense than the worst day in chiropractic school. The level of performance required on a minute to minute basis leaves me mentally and physically exhausted at the end of each and every shift.

I have assimilated so much knowledge my head hurts and I dream about titrations, QTc's, filling pressures, and cardiac indexes. Yet I'm surrounded by people that possess the same knowledge, at times seemingly disguising the fact that I've learned all that much.

I can tell that I've grown though. It used to be when a preceptor stepped in and made an adjustment to a pump or initiated a therapy, I was simply thankful that there was someone there to make sure the patient got what they needed. Now, it annoys me, because a.) they don't tell me what they've done, potentially making me look like a fool when I get questioned by a physician, b.) because it disrupts my train of thought or plan of care, or c.) because, "It's my patient damnit, and keep your grubby hands to yourself!!", that's why!

To get out of the internship I have to take a drug test tomorrow, and not the pee-in-a-cup kind either. These are the notecards for the drugs I have to know by heart. The test? Not multiple choice, not fill-in-the-blank, but short answer. Many of them I know well because I've used them daily for the past 12 weeks. Some of them I still haven't seen in practice. I have to know class, mechanism of action, preparations--including all concentrations we use, dosing--including initial, titration, max and wean dosing, side effects, nursing actions, as well as surgeon preferences for each drug. But no problem, I got this. *sigh*

Beyond that, I have two more shifts on days, tomorrow and Friday. Then Monday, I head to night shift for 3 shifts with a preceptor to get a feel for how things run on nights.

And then, fin. All done. Completed.

On my own.

And the next new adventures begin...

I love my job.

9 comments:

  1. I am glad YOU love it! My head hurts just with your description of it all.

    I am glad there are ambitous and knowledgable new nurses out there to take the place of us old worn out ones...

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, you got this test in the back of your pocket (meaning you'll do well like you always do)!

    Second, have fun on nights.

    And third, what's next after this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just started reading your blog a few weeks ago. I'm not a nurse, but a guy working in Occupational Therapy is also an interesting site. Your mention of chiro school was a bit confusing to me though...were you in DC school before your BSN program? Did you finish?

    Anyways, thanks and keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CC: You may be older and more experienced, but definitely not worn out. :) I'm just thankful for the wisdom of nurses before me, like you.

    Zazzy: Next? Hang out and work for a couple of years, at least. Then CRNA school and the Air Force if all goes well.

    L: Thanks for reading, I appreciate it. I am a DC as well. I graduated DC school in 2007 into an ugly economy and a profession that largely refuses to help each one another. My wife had been a nurse for 6 years at that point, and given the way the profession has treated her, we decided there was no better place for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sure someone has already mention this to you but, you should write a book.

    I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate that when people do things without explaining themselves. Some people, for whatever reason, really don't seem to want to teach, it's like you have to pull every speck of information right out of them! I used to be kind of shy about asking questions at work, but I think it makes more sense to just do it unabashedly (eff em).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't even believe you are nearly done with the internship already. It sounds like it has been incredibly productive and enjoyable for you, with a healthy dose of stress for good measure ;)

    Critical care is SO not my thing, but I'm thankful there are people like you who love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Best of luck peeing in that cup.....
    Good job, by the way. Dangit. I'm proud of you, son.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep up the work, keep up the spirit. My blog life has been spotty this semester, but it's always a positive to read yours. Hope you kicked the test out the back door man.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to make a note in the chart. (Of course, please avoid any unapproved or unsafe abbreviations.)